View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Coolant System Hoses Slipping

03-10-2017, 01:10 PM
I stole this photo from John's TR2 rebuild thread (which is amazing, by the way).

Have any of you had problems with the hoses slipping off the thermostat housing or the water pump. I have problems with both of these locations, given there is little or no lip on the cast hardware so the hoses are held in place solely by the clamping force. I tighten the hose clamps with a lot of force but to no avail. After a few hundred miles, they are leaking or starting to slip off. I just bought some super duper clamps on Amazon and hope to install this weekend. Maybe that will do the trick. I was even thinking of adding some JBWeld on the end of the hardware to create a bit of a lip to hold the hose and clamp on.



03-10-2017, 02:43 PM
I have never had any problems with hoses slipping off even using the traditional wire clamps.
Are your hoses long enough?

03-10-2017, 02:45 PM
I've had trouble with the bypass hose at the thermostat housing. I eventually used a file to remove some of the taper; and cut a groove near the end, to give the hose something to grab. The water pump side is pretty rough (from rust), don't recall having a problem there.

But I also use worm-drive hose clamps, which can exert a lot more force than the original style clamps. I get the all-stainless ones from MMC.

03-10-2017, 03:30 PM
I agree with Pat, mine didn't slip. Perhaps aftermarket hose is a bit loose? Randall's solution seems good though. I've uses 3M 5200 (because I had it) on hose connections with success too.

03-10-2017, 11:40 PM
The only car I've had trouble with hoses slipping off was my XJS with the V12. Those Jags have at least a dozen little hoses, many with no locating lip. The way I finally solved the slipping is to smear a bit of RTV silicone sealant inside the hose...enough to cover but not enough to squeeze out into the coolant system. I then clamped as normal, but allowed the silicone to set overnight before I added coolant and started the car. That solved all but one hose. That one I had to file some rough grooves to get it to stick.

In your (my) pic, I had to pop off the hose to reroute the vacuum line. The hose was actually stuck on tightly, even after the clamp was off. I had to pry it apart. That points out that rubber tends to stick to metal when clamped to it. It may work to make sure the hose and pipe are very dry and clean, so the rubber doesn't have any lubrication and has some time to "bond" to the metal.

03-13-2017, 04:30 PM
I pulled the offending hose and cleaned well. Then scuffed up the surface of the water pump where discharge end is slightly tapered. I used a die grinder with a tip that would be used for porting a cylinder head. Finished with some 180 grit sandpaper. Was a little messy but it seems to have done the trick. I don't think the hose will slip off now. Thanks for the feedback.