PDA

View Full Version : AWD vs Winter Tires

Boink
02-21-2017, 05:32 PM
It's an old debate, but nicely summarized here. Winter tires win big:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/do-you-really-need-awd-in-the-snow/index.htm

SD Bugeye
02-22-2017, 08:42 AM
I have a new escape
I almost had to be dragged kicking and screaming to test drive it last summer.
it rides and drives wonder full nothing like the one I rented years ago it was aweful in snow rain and just in general felt like it was always wanting to go where it wanted and rode rough.
now this one is amazing rides great drives great in deep snow and on ice .
so the last storm we had I turned of the traction control
honest it was as bad if not worse Thant he old one.
proof again you can make a turd fly with enough eng. and money.
ican think of a high buck sports car that used the same concept..

electronics or tires with AWD you can fake it

Popeye
02-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Firm believer in snow tires. Michelin X-ice 3 (not 2). Helps in the hills in my RWD car!

Basil
02-22-2017, 01:37 PM
I use Michelin Premier LTX All Season Tires on my Santa Fe. My Santa Fe also has AWD, which I love the combination in snow.

Boink
02-22-2017, 02:15 PM
I guess I was surprised that it took about TWICE as long for an AWD with all-season tires to stop than a 2WD with winter tires.

catfood
02-22-2017, 04:09 PM
I don't like snow tyres. If I had them I wouldn't be able to use the excuse I that I can't get up our road so I have to work from home!

stefanh6
03-05-2017, 10:50 PM
It depends also on the severity of the terrain and snow. I agree that a good set of tires is a must. Having an AWD is an added bonus. I have Conti DWS that I bought at 4wheelonline (https://4wheelonline.com). Tried these tires in the snow and they did well. Through I didn't push their limits. I know a lot of guys will say that winter-dedicated tires are a lot better than all-season tires.

TOC
03-06-2017, 01:50 AM
Best snow CAR I ever had (and still have after 47 years) is a RWD non-posi 1950 Ford Tudor.
Second gear, just off idle, climbs hills in snow and ice and passes all the AWD vehicles with snow tyres in the ditch...sometimes weaving in and out of the carcasses littering the roadway.
Best non-passenger vehicle is my 1949 Willys 2WD wagon...went places 4X4's couldn't get. With a ton and a half of tools and equipment in the back, it went through 12" of snow and ice like I could not believe.

pdplot
03-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Best snow car I ever had - Corvair.