PDA

View Full Version : General Tech Start Up after Rebuild

KVH
02-12-2017, 05:35 AM
Sorry, old topic again. But--why do folks say to prime the oil pump using the shaft before installing the distributor when you can do the same thing by cranking the engine with the distributor installed but the ignition disconnected?

Brinkerhoff
02-12-2017, 10:15 AM
If you have installed a new camshaft and lifters its preferable that the engine fire quickly and run at 2,000 rpm to break the lifters in for at least 20 minutes . Excessive cranking is feared to be too hard on the lifters and lobes.

TR-3rg
02-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I always prime the engine on the engine stand. Its a lot easier to fix a problem that way. I spin the oil pump with a drill and turn the engine over with a wrench until I have a steady oil pressure reading.

Roy

Andrew Mace
02-12-2017, 04:22 PM
I suppose one other potential problem of just cranking the engine might be dumping a lot of excess fuel into the cylinders, assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump?

glemon
02-12-2017, 06:31 PM
It can take a while for pressure to build, I have done a few and never had a problem until I redid my TR250, which I cranked quite a bit but no pressure. The fear of course is some bearing somewhere does not have any lube, and isn't going to get any until the pump starts . If you can turn the pump without turning the motor you alleviate this concern by building up pressure and distributing lubricant before the motor starts spinning.

Geo Hahn
02-12-2017, 08:12 PM
...you can do the same thing by cranking the engine with the distributor installed but the ignition disconnected?

When I have done that I do so with the spark plugs out to minimize wear until the oil gauge shows pressure.