PDA

View Full Version : General Tech Lubricating New Rod Bearings

KVH
02-12-2017, 05:27 AM
A very old topic, I know. But what is better: plain motor oil, white lithium grease, or assembly lube when replacing rod bearings? Any difference really? A good mechanic I know says to use motor oil and quit fussing.

Brinkerhoff
02-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Oil is just fine. I've taken apart engines that hadn't run for thirty years and the bearings were still wet so I don't think it will dry out or anything.

TomMull
02-12-2017, 03:29 PM
I did my first few engines before I even herd of assembly lube and I agree with the comment above. However, ever since my machine shop guy gave me a tube of assembly lube, I use it on everything inside. The one I use has ZDDP in it too.
Tom

Andrew Mace
02-12-2017, 04:20 PM
I've always used good old STP as an assembly lube. I don't know if that's good, bad or otherwise, but it's always worked well for me!

bnw
02-13-2017, 12:56 AM
I cut the STP with motor oil. About 50/50. I think it's for peace of mind more than anything.

glemon
02-13-2017, 01:38 AM
I have used STP too, don'the know if it is best, but seemed thick enough to stay put until the oil starts flowing.

bobhustead
02-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Straight STP for me.
Bob

ghawk16
02-14-2017, 01:29 PM
A very old topic, I know. But what is better: plain motor oil, white lithium grease, or assembly lube when replacing rod bearings? Any difference really? A good mechanic I know says to use motor oil and quit fussing.

Funny...was just going to start a post on here asking about what are peoples thoughts on lubricants or sealants or what not on certain bearings and gaskets when putting back together an engine. I'm getting ready to put my engine back together and it might be good to have it all in one thread for the future. That's of course if it hasn't been posted already.