PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Things You've Done?

AngliaGT
02-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Basil's post reminded me of my stupidity the other day -
no,NOT the Volvo.
I went to pick up the gas tank (had it boiled out & recoated),&
the radiator (had it recored) from the radiator shop.Since I bought an electronic
sender for the gas tank,told them not to reinstall it.
While figuring out where to put the tank & radiator,I set the sender
on the top side of the Dakota,figuring I'd put it in a safe place before the 1/2 hour
trip home.Got home & ........no sender!
I called the shop,& the owner walked down the street,& told me that
he'd found it,but it "didn't look the same as when he gave to me".
At least nobody saw me do it.

Basil
02-04-2017, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure which post reminded you of stupidity, but it's nice to know I sometimes serve a purpose. :tongue-new:

GTP1960
02-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Stupid Things You've Done?
how much time have you got?.........because I've got a long list.

sail
02-05-2017, 09:33 AM
I was about to put the hood back on my Saab 96 when I saw the new throwout bearing on my workbench. Planning to do it all over that night I set my only TV on the roof for company. While yanking on the engine/transmission to get them back out the TV slid to the floor with a spectacular crash. Fortunately at the time I allowed myself an occasional cocktail.

NutmegCT
02-05-2017, 09:53 AM
How 'bout this.

Buy new car.

Before leaving dealer, raise hood and check battery and fluids.

Lower hood and ask a few questions.

Drive off with big smile.

Two miles later, heading downhill at 50mph, hood flies open.

Ugly. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth - and some colorful language - ensued.

An evil spirit had loosened the hood latch when I wasn't looking!

(Well, actually, I'd forgotten to slam the hood down before I drove off.

Hood, hinges, supports, etc. twisted into unpleasant shapes.

oy

GTP1960
02-05-2017, 02:09 PM
One of the smartest things I ever did (& that's a very short list), Was marry a hard headed Cincinnati German gal,
who quickly spotted and corrected most of my obvious deficiencies & keeps me on the correct life path.

(......on the other hand I wonder what she would say was the stupidest thing she's ever done?.......)

Mickey Richaud
02-05-2017, 02:38 PM
One of the smartest things I ever did (& that's a very short list), Was marry a hard headed Cincinnati German gal,
who quickly spotted and corrected most of my obvious deficiencies & keeps me on the correct life path.

(......on the other hand I wonder what she would say was the stupidest thing she's ever done?.......)

Yin and Yang.

Same story here!

JPSmit
02-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Yin and Yang.

Same story here!

You & Janet are Chinese? who knew.

pdplot
02-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Let me count the ways. 1. Jacking up the rear transverse spring on a 1940 Ford while standing in an abandoned gas station pit, removing the shackle pin and having the spring snap down to the ground nearly removing my left hand in the process. Forgot I needed a second jack under the spring. Somehow I managed to slide the jack under the spring and jack it back up as night was falling. 2. Rebuilding an MG TD gearbox, after picking up with a magnetic tool all the 2 dozen odd steel balls that flew out of the case, getting it back together at 1 am and finding out I had installed something backwards and could not shift into 2nd gear. Corrected and completed repair at 4 am. 3. At least twice, put new points in and got the plastic washer in the wrong place and car would not start. (Latest set has built-in washers so no problem.) 4. Forgetting washers, dropping bolts and nuts where they could not be found or fished out with magnetic tool. 5. Starting to fill my Honda tank with diesel fuel. 6. Flying to Dutchess County airport, installing bird plugs, eating lunch and attempting to take off with birdplugs still in place. Luckily, a line boy waved his arms and alerted me. 7. Taking off from Bridgeport with the strap of my flight bag caught under the passenger (and only) door, causing a loud rapping noise and me turning back to land and find out what the problem was. It sounded like a blown exhaust manifold gasket. 8. Rebuilding anything and discovering I forget to install a gasket or some other part or breaking something on Sunday night with no chance of replacement until the next morning. 9. Installing a new battery in my lawn tractor while wearing a wedding band and fusing it to a screwdriver blade when I shorted the positive terminal to ground. (The ring stays in my dresser drawer now). There may have been others too.

Gliderman8
02-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Not checking to make sure the seat in the aircraft I was flying was fully engaged into the track. Flew for over an hour with no problems. While on final the blankety-blank seat decided to slide full travel to the rear. Since I was holding the yoke the plane went to a nose up attitude very quickly. My passenger nearly wet his pants. I grabbed a portion of the dashboard and pulled the seat back. Now I ALWAYS check to make sure the seat is locked into position. Dumb things happen.

DrEntropy
02-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Repeatedly I've left the rotor out of a dizzy... usually with witnesses around. :mad:

coldplugs
02-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Repeatedly I've left the rotor out of a dizzy... usually with witnesses around. :mad:

Never did that - but almost had the firing order of a Chevy V8 tattooed on my arm after I did my first rings-bearings-valves-tappets-new cam job on a small block back when I was 19. Couldn't get it to run right afterwards & begged for help from one of our local drag racing heros. I haven't heard the end of that one yet!

DrEntropy
02-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Almost don't want to put this out there but; my Maine pal back in the early '70's got ahold of a '61 Corvette... called me one day and asked me if I'd come help him get it running after he'd swapped out the plugs & wires. Looked it over and discovered he'd put the wires on with 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 as the cap firing order. Needless to say... :redface-new:

NutmegCT
02-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Bayless
02-07-2017, 11:42 AM
:iagree:That one was too funny. Good thing for the keyboard I had already finished my coffee.

PAUL161
02-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't it be great if it was that easy! :highly_amused: PJ

PAUL161
02-07-2017, 12:08 PM

I don't think I would admit that,
even though I've done it. :rolleyes: LOL.

DrEntropy
02-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Wouldn't it be great if it was that easy! https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/images/smilies/highly_amused.png PJ

It almost is with today's ECM control and coil packs. GM's 1980's V-6 with "spark loss" coils has pairs of plugs using one of three "coils" per pair. Diabolical, I tell ya.

Mickey Richaud
02-07-2017, 12:24 PM
GM 60-degree V6 firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6. Shocking!

DrEntropy
02-07-2017, 12:27 PM
The field techs must have been complaining to the engineers that the "old ways" were too complex for 'em. :smirk:

catfood
02-08-2017, 09:41 AM
long list...

Test running a model aero engine on the bench. Went to shut it down by putting my finger over the choke while forgetting there was a propellor spinning at several thousand revs was one.

Booking my car into a garage (before I had any interest in things automotive) because of the awful noise it made when going up hill under load (must be the gearbox!) only to be told the bonnet (hood) stay had come loose - should have lifted the bonnet.

Needing some bell wire I decided to remove some from the large coil connected to my bedside lamp (wires twisted and taped). As I landed on the other side of the room I realised its a good idea to unplug it first.

Trying to manouvre a deep freeze down stairs on my own when I realised it weighed about twice as much as me and I was losing the battle...

Silverghost
02-08-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm blaming this one on youth....buy a new lawn mower, bring it home, put gas in it, start it, runs 2-3 minutes and dies. Restart, same thing. Do this a few times. Neighbor comes over, asks how it's going. Tell him. "Did you put oil in it?" DOH.......

Also it is a good idea to put the drain plug back in the oil pan BEFORE adding new oil when doing an oil change on a car. :D

coldplugs
02-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Also it is a good idea to put the drain plug back in the oil pan BEFORE adding new oil when doing an oil change on a car. :D

Never did that - but have launched my fishing boat (twice) without the drain plug in. Similar results.

Silverghost
02-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Never did that - but have launched my fishing boat (twice) without the drain plug in. Similar results.

Member of that club too..... :)

glemon
02-13-2017, 01:30 AM
I feel like a comedian tonight, I got a hundred of 'em. Let's just take one category, jacking up the car. Despite doing some really stupid thing jacking up and holding up cars in my youth I somehow lived through it all with little damage to me or my car. The last few years, despite being theoretically older and wiser not so much.

1. TR250: Was jacking it up for reasons I don't remember now, but I jacked it up and decided I needed to move the location of the jack because it was in the way of where I wanted to put the jack stand. I lowered the car with my Harbor Freight jack with a really quick release. Unfortunately, the jack stand was now under my recently installed rocker panels on my recently painted car. Gouged a significant hole in the panel and revealed some deficiencies in my welding the rocker on.

Second got a flat on my daily driver from some nasty heat warped asphalt coming up on the interstate. I pulled way over to be safe, jacked up the car, everything going fine. It was a hat day, but had rained a lot that week. Jack sunk in the grass after I pulled the flat off and was digging out the spare under our luggage. Tried different spots, same result, couldn't move the car to pavement, no wheel. Wife saved the day when she suggested I put a large road Atlas book we had under the jack to enlarge the footprint in the soft dirt. I poo pooed the idea, right thought, but didn'the think the Atlas would doUchiha more than fold up. Ithe sort of did, but added enough footprint to make it work.

glemon
02-13-2017, 01:33 AM
The test running a model aero engine reminded me of another. Had a balsa wood and tissue model airplane I built, thought it would be cool to play like it was in a dogfight and light the wing on fire. It went up like it had been soaked in gasoline, nearly burnt the house down

Basil
02-13-2017, 11:13 AM
I once drove to work, got out of the car, went into the office, and then realized I still had my bedroom slippers on! Fortunately they were my moccasin slippers and not my big fuzzy Sylvester the cat slippers.

pdplot
02-14-2017, 09:40 PM
Working at Allied Foreign Cars in Boston back in 1957, Bobby, the young apprentice mechanic, was changing the oil on a rare and gorgeous Delahaye. He took it out for a test drive and came back white as a sheet. No oil pressure. Yep - he forgot to put the new oil in. A comment here about the loose airplane seat track. There is a mandatory AD for Cessna seat tracks as there were fatal accidents when the seats rolled back on takeoff, causing the plane to nose up, stall and crash.

Gliderman8
02-14-2017, 10:07 PM
A comment here about the loose airplane seat track. There is a mandatory AD for Cessna seat tracks as there were fatal accidents when the seats rolled back on takeoff, causing the plane to nose up, stall and crash.
Wowa.... That's what I was flying- a Cessna 150. Yep, nose came up quick! Luckily I had enough altitude to recover. It was scary. How a stupid thing as a seat track can be the cause of an accident.

Basil
02-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Wowa.... That's what I was flying- a Cessna 150. Yep, nose came up quick! Luckily I had enough altitude to recover. It was scary. How a stupid thing as a seat track can be the cause of an accident.

What brand of new britches did you buy when it was all over?

Gliderman8
02-14-2017, 10:34 PM
What brand of new britches did you buy when it was all over?
Not me, but the thirteen year old kid I had as a passenger almost cra??ed his pants.

DrEntropy
02-15-2017, 06:45 AM
The stall buzzer in those 150's was a particularly onerous one, too.