PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Great Place or What

glemon
02-02-2017, 11:09 PM
I have been shopping for a fun hobby car that is not British and perusing other forums as I try to learn more about models I am interested in. Some other forums are downright nasty, and not just the members but the rules. New members not supposed to post their own question until they have 15 or more Posts? Questions ignored or dismissed because "they have been asked before" people upset if a comment is made on a thread when they feel it has already been answered. Not all of them but some, seems to trend towards worse with newer cars. Just lots of nastiness from both moderators and members of the kind you seldom if ever see here.

SaxMan
02-03-2017, 12:19 AM
I think driving / owning / maintaining an LBC is going to attract a certain kind of personality. You know you're not going to have the fastest car, the best handling car, the most reliable car, the most practical, etc. There are so many things that LBCs are not. But they are one thing...FUN!!!! So when you take all the "who is faster, who is better, etc." arguments away, you end up with a group of people that have nothing to prove except to truly enjoy their vehicles, enjoy the driving experience and the desire to share that with anyone who shows interest.

I've found Corvair folks are probably the ones closest to LBC owners in this regard in my experience. Vintage Jeep people are usually pretty cool, too.

PAUL161
02-03-2017, 08:32 AM
It seems like some forums take on the attitude of the person running it. If he/she has a nasty attitude, it draws that kind of personality in a few it's members. I belong to some tractor forums, as I have some antique tractors, some good and some not so good. One site I was a member of actually threw me off because I mentioned to a guy where he could buy a part that he had been looking for for months, figure that one out, as no one on the forum could help him. Needless to say I told them where they could put their site. The language on some forums is disgusting, once encountered, I drop them like a hot potato and ban the site. This site has always been family oriented, I say family because off color language and non appropriate photos are banned. Bad attitudes don't last long around here. :encouragement: Good job Basil, my compliments. PJ

sail
02-03-2017, 10:53 AM
"Is this a great place or what"

​Ahh yep.

DavidApp
02-03-2017, 11:44 AM
This Forum is a pleasure to read and often very entertaining.
So many members with information, skills, encouragement and help. I would be in a world of hurt on my TR without the help I have got here. Several years ago I built a Pizza Oven with the help of a Forum maintained by a company that sold Pizza ovens and tools. Very similar style of forum with a worldwide membership. I still visit it for cooking info.

Thank you Basil for this great resource.

David

Bayless
02-03-2017, 11:48 AM
I agree with all the above. Thanks Basil.

Basil
02-03-2017, 11:54 AM

NutmegCT
02-03-2017, 03:17 PM

DrEntropy
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/attachment.php?attachmentid=47034&d=1486137269

:lol:

But "It's twue! It's twue!"

14dna
I agree with all that has been said. I suffer from depression, and this place is a respite from the world. I don't post much anymore, but I come here to read civil and humorous answers. It gives me a nice place to relax and forget about problems. And if you want to know about depression remedies, talk to me.
Dave
P.S. Thanks Basil

SaxMan
02-03-2017, 06:49 PM
I agree with all that has been said. I suffer from depression, and this place is a respite from the world. I don't post much anymore, but I come here to read civil and humorous answers. It gives me a nice place to relax and forget about problems. And if you want to know about depression remedies, talk to me.
Dave
P.S. Thanks Basil

I've suffered from clinical depression most of my adult life, been on and off anti-depressants (currently on) and I've found the LBCs quite therapeutic. At least in my experience, depression is your mind constantly cycling in a feedback loop. What I've been able to do is let my mind fixate on the Sprite (among other projects), -- how am I going to fix X or Y? What's the optimal adjustment for component Z, as opposed to letting the mind dwell on life's issues that can drive you crazy. And, then of course, once you get out and drive it, you can't help but smile.

John Turney
02-03-2017, 08:46 PM
This is the best place on the web!

JPSmit
02-03-2017, 10:18 PM
I have been shopping for a fun hobby car

So, what are you looking for?

Basil
02-04-2017, 01:21 AM
I've suffered from clinical depression most of my adult life, been on and off anti-depressants (currently on) and I've found the LBCs quite therapeutic. At least in my experience, depression is your mind constantly cycling in a feedback loop. What I've been able to do is let my mind fixate on the Sprite (among other projects), -- how am I going to fix X or Y? What's the optimal adjustment for component Z, as opposed to letting the mind dwell on life's issues that can drive you crazy. And, then of course, once you get out and drive it, you can't help but smile.

And the ever popular "where the heck does extra part Q go?"

Basil
02-04-2017, 01:22 AM
Dave
P.S. Thanks Basil

Well we'll just have to work on that won't we! ?

14dna
02-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Ok boss, but I'm retired now and don't have as much free time.
Dave

Basil
02-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Ok boss, but I'm retired now and don't have as much free time.
Dave

I can relate LOL

SaxMan
02-04-2017, 11:31 AM
And the ever popular "where the heck does extra part Q go?"

Yup. Just happened to me when I was putting the carbs back on Baby Blue last night. Had to pull them back off three times. First time because I put throttle linkage back in upside down. Second time was because I found the choke linkage and wondered "Where did this part go", and the third time was because the brackets for the fuel hose that goes from float bowl to float bowl uses the same stud that holds the carburetor on. 30 minute job turned into a 90 minute one. But it was fun!

Basil
02-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Yup. Just happened to me when I was putting the carbs back on Baby Blue last night. Had to pull them back off three times. First time because I put throttle linkage back in upside down. Second time was because I found the choke linkage and wondered "Where did this part go", and the third time was because the brackets for the fuel hose that goes from float bowl to float bowl uses the same stud that holds the carburetor on. 30 minute job turned into a 90 minute one. But it was fun!

When I rebuilt my Brake Servo on my E-Type not long ago, I had it all done, with new rubber diaphragm, etc. After Getting all closed up and re-installed on the firewall, I discover the big spring that operates the diaphragm sitting there on my work bench! Arggggg!

SaxMan
02-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Since all the major mechanical work is now done for the winter, I was going to roll the Sprite out to the driveway. Turn the key, and the motor started easily, but the generator light is glowing red. Go to check the generator -- it's not moving. Neither is the fan. While changing the generator the belt slipped off the main pulley and I couldn't tell when I put things back together. I thought the belt went on the generator a little too easily. Time to loosen the generator and start all over again.

JPSmit
02-04-2017, 04:51 PM
BTW not just the tone but the honesty! :grin: and willingness to confess to mistakes.

Bayless
02-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Of course how many times have we adjusted the points or otherwise opened the dizzy and the motor wont start. Until we finally find that rotor laying on the bench that belongs inside.

judow
02-05-2017, 09:21 PM
I also agree with all that's been said. One forum I was on started taking what I felt was a sex demeaning slant. When I objected to the art and comments I was called a lot of disgusting names. I really felt violated. I realize that the site was predominantly male but still. I simply left the site. I am pleased to say I have never felt 'less than' in this forum. Thanks Basil for a great experience. And thanks to you guys as well.

Gliderman8
02-05-2017, 09:45 PM
I also agree with all that's been said. One forum I was on started taking what I felt was a sex demeaning slant. When I objected to the art and comments I was called a lot of disgusting names. I really felt violated. I realize that the site was predominantly male but still. I simply left the site. I am pleased to say I have never felt 'less than' in this forum. Thanks Basil for a great experience. And thanks to you guys as well.
I think the people who throw those nasty barbs on other sites are predominantly cowards; they hide behind the comfort of their keyboards and spew words that probably wouldn't be said in person. I'll take the civility of forums like this always.

Basil
02-05-2017, 09:57 PM
I think the people who throw those nasty barbs on other sites are predominantly cowards; they hide behind the comfort of their keyboards and spew words that probably wouldn't be said in person. I'll take the civility of forums like this always.

People like that are far and few between on BCF. When they do show up, they usually don't last long.

JPSmit
02-05-2017, 10:04 PM

Indeed, and, sadly, not just forums most of life it seems. One of the unintended (I hope unintended) consequences of the interweb is the increasing speed with which we can talk without thinking.

Gliderman8
02-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Indeed, and, sadly, not just forums most of life it seems. One of the unintended (I hope unintended) consequences of the interweb is the increasing speed with which we can talk without thinking.
I'm not certain the blame falls entirely on the net. We all know people that begin to spout-off without having all the facts or worse yet, not even taking the facts into account even when they have them.

JPSmit
02-06-2017, 04:02 PM
I'm not certain the blame falls entirely on the net. We all know people that begin to spout-off without having all the facts or worse yet, not even taking the facts into account even when they have them.

True but the net makes it easier and quicker. And more people get to "benefit" from it. There is also the "advantage" of anonymity and not having to say things to people's faces.

Gliderman8
02-06-2017, 06:27 PM
True but the net makes it easier and quicker. And more people get to "benefit" from it. There is also the "advantage" of anonymity and not having to say things to people's faces.
I can't argue with what you said or I'd be "one of those people".

Basil
02-06-2017, 10:17 PM

JPSmit
02-07-2017, 09:57 AM
I can't argue with what you said or I'd be "one of those people".

And don't you forget it buster! :grin: :banana:

Gliderman8
02-07-2017, 10:23 AM
And don't you forget it buster! :grin: :banana:
:thumbsup:

glemon
02-13-2017, 10:03 PM
So, what are you looking for?

Sorry, been away for a while I guess. I am looking for a Porsche 924 turbo or S, Fiat X1/9, Saab Sonett, or maybe an Alfa GTV6 something different than what I have owned and worked on before, or even a small, unusual foreign car like a renault 10 or Saab 96.

NutmegCT
02-14-2017, 06:11 AM
How 'bout a Tatraplan ...

(Another of my "If I win PowerBall" dreams ...)

JPSmit
02-14-2017, 11:51 AM
How 'bout a Tatraplan ...

(Another of my "If I win PowerBall" dreams ...)

you and me both! (though the other list 924 etc wouldn't be bad either)

glemon
02-15-2017, 01:38 AM
Never really made the connection, but that kind of looks like an early Saab 92 doesn'the it? Sure if you see a Tatra for sale in the Midwest that I can pick up for 3-4k let me know, I will be all over it...

glemon
02-15-2017, 01:40 AM

I saw that one on another forum a while ago, it kind of reminds me of that old cartoon. "I met the enemy and he is us" or something like that.