PDA

View Full Version : Need to get a vacuum advance rebuilt

TOC
02-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Last one done was Distributor Doctor in the UK, but shipping has gotten out of hand.
This one was done before, so it has the sleeve surrounding the case halves.
I have a 3.4L advance in as of last night (my backup), so where do we go stateside for this work?
Anybody do it with rubber that doesn't rot?
NOS is not going to be good. I found one last time, and it was pre-rotted, hence the current (now failed) rebuild.
I can look up the number later, but this is a 2.4L chassis 118011, and internal springing is different than 3.4L and 3.8L.
I did post in Jaguar forum, but I figured more of a chance to find a more broad coverage of sources here.

Thanx.

DNK
02-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Dave the only answer I have for you is possibly Jeff at
https://advanceddistributors.com/wordpress1/

TOC
02-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Talked to Jeff this afternoon, gave him the advance code...and he said it's pretty bad. 24 degrees, should pink like hades at WOT, but, he can fix it.
So, I'll ship it off.
Interestingly, he said the repair sleeve is aluminium...but it's soft stainless....can't peel it with a knife like aluminium, doesn't seem to rust.
One of the issues with this Jag most other US owners don't face is A) 2.4L, and B) down-draught Solexes.
The advance line is in the base of the forward carburettor, and vapours, leakage, goes down the lie and east up the diaphragm.
Last time I put a big bend in the copper pipe, so the bend is above the float chambers, won't know until he cuts it apart if that's the issue this time.
He said an MGA advance line kit has a filter in it to prevent that.
Now I have to go find one of those, methinks.
Thanks

JPSmit
02-01-2017, 07:25 PM
One thing Jeff will do is re-curve the distributor for 2017 gas - he did my Vauxhall distributor - haven't used it but it looks awesome!

TOC
02-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Yeah, he offered that. Thinking about it.
If I knew what he did, I could do it. I have a Sun distributor machine.

DNK
02-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Dave, he does 80%+ of the LBC dizzy's out there.
He does a great job....now I have no idea his experience with those old timey cars like your Jag

TOC
02-01-2017, 10:57 PM
or those small displacement, 2.4L, downdraught Solex equipped RHD Morse Mobiles