PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Foam vs Rubber Seals

CJD
01-18-2017, 12:16 AM
Digging through my old boxes, I have learned that some seals are made from softer foam, while others are much harder rubber. The soft foam seems to be the way to go. For example: I have read posts of people having door bottom seals that actually fit the door. Mine was made from hard rubber for the TR3 (Moss part), and there was no way it would ever fit the door to body gap.

So, does anyone know who sells the soft foam seals for the boot lid, door bottom, and spare door?

TR3driver
01-18-2017, 01:02 AM
The originals were actually a thin harder surface, with a soft foam interior. The ones I got from TRF seem pretty good, but that has been some years ago.

CJD
01-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Randall. I know we have had posts for years about the door seals not fitting right. I pulled some old partial seals out of one of my parts boxes, and it was much softer than what I have been working with. I think it equates to what you are saying...a dense outer shell around a very soft foam. You can almost squeeze it down to nothing. The hard seals don't squeeze much at all.

sp53
01-22-2017, 06:44 PM
TRF has the proper stuff that fits

Alfred E. Neuman
01-22-2017, 07:07 PM
TRF has the proper stuff that fits
Agreed.
When I did my 58 3A, I originally made the mistake of fitting the doors/boot/spare cover without seals. Installed Moss seals and there was NFW I could get them to compress enough to get the panel fit correct. On a recommendation I tried the TRF seals and they were much better. Compressed enough to get the panel gap acceptable. I don't know how close to original they are, as mine were basically gone by the time I got the car. But they were a much softer rubber or foam than the Moss seals.

CJD
01-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Excellent...I'll try TRF. Thanks, Steve, Alfred!