PDA

View Full Version : Swore I'd Never Get One of These...

SaxMan
01-14-2017, 12:44 AM
...but I bit the bullet and bought one of those crossover SUVs, a used 2015 Nissan Rogue.

With the clock ticking for my 2012 Jetta Sportswagen TDI, I needed to find another ride before the turn-in date of February 1st. I like the idea of a regular station wagon and having something that can actually handle. Station wagons, however are become a nearly extinct species with only the European makes still producing a true car-based wagon. When I put down to paper what I really use my daily driver for: commuting, hauling things from bicycles, to musical instruments to airplane parts, I knew I needed something relatively roomy, good gas mileage, and reliable. Reliability ruled out me going back to VW. Gas mileage ruled out the BMW 328 or any larger truck or SUVs. I found myself with the Toyota RAV4 or the Honda CRV as the ideal cars. No, they're not fun or great handling vehicles, but that's why I own a Sprite.

The Nissan wasn't on my radar until I talked to a gentlemen who has sold our business many vans and several of our employees bought cars from him, including my wife's 2012 Corolla. He said he had one on his lot with only 4,000 miles, but it was a base model: cloth seats, no roof rack, no fancy wheels, no navigation system, no fancy dashboard electronics. My thought was "So what?". The Nissan gets a bit better gas mileage than the Honda or Toyota, but also has about 15 less horses to feed...Nissan also makes their vehicles more home-mechanic friendly than Toyota or Honda, even devoting an entire chapter in the Owner's Manual for do-it-yourself maintenance.

So far, I like it. No, it's not exciting, but it doesn't have to be. It's comfortable, reasonably peppy, can haul a ton of gear, and has all-wheel drive, which the Jetta didn't have. And, like I said, if I want to have fun while driving, I take the Sprite out.

Best of all, after the buyout from VW, the out of pocket cost for the Nissan was just a bit over $2,000. So, for the price of a very cheap used car, I have a practically new one.

JPSmit
01-14-2017, 08:37 AM
well done! and nice, not to get blinded by bling - even though I do like a sunroof! While I prefer a car based wagon - SUVs/ crossovers are the defacto wagons of our age.

As a slight aside, I read recently that GM was having a temporary layoff due to a surplus of sedans - which people just aren't buying any longer.

dklawson
01-14-2017, 08:44 AM
In the past my wife and I have assigned "points" to the various aspects of something we needed or wanted to purchase. We would total up the points for each make or model and then buy the one with the highest number of points. Sometimes we didn't get the one that tugged on our heart strings but we were never unhappy with our purchase.

I'm sure the Rogue will prove to be such a good decision. It is also nice to hear that there are still some cars out there which are not full of unwanted features.

GTP1960
01-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Best of all, after the buyout from VW, the out of pocket cost for the Nissan was just a bit over $2,000. So, for the price of a very cheap used car, I have a practically new one.

wonder what VW is doing with all the buyback cars?

Basil
01-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Our Hyundai Santa Fe is the best car I've ever owned. Economical (25MPG), comfortable, and utilitarian. The rear seats fold down for added storage space if needed and I added a tow kit so occasionally I can rent a nice U-Haul 10ft open trailer when I need to haul stuff to the dump (or as they cal it, the Waste Transfer Station).

SD Bugeye
01-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Yea kind same situation here
I picked up a new escape
really comfortable handles really well ( with the traction control on) on snow with no traction control undriveable. Magic of electronics.
small stature makes it easy to park and plenty of room around it in the garage.
have friend that has a explorer and it just seems so huge in comparison
it will due until the new ranger hits the US market
I have driven the current ranger crew cab for the South American market sharp well equipped and a spunky little diesel
im sure they will due away with that for here in the states

TOC
01-14-2017, 01:36 PM
wonder what VW is doing with all the buyback cars?

Putting Tatra and Lada badges on them and selling them in the Ukraine.
How else top you expect them to A) pay the 15 billion dollar fine, and B) dispose of 73 million pounds of scrap metal?

TOC
01-14-2017, 01:44 PM
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1107058_what-will-vw-do-with-tdi-diesel-buyback-cars-its-not-what-you-think

According to language in the agreement signed on October 25 by federal judge Charles Breyer, VW may legally do several different things with the bought-back diesel cars:

modify and resell them as used cars (if approved), with proper disclosure to the buyer
export them for resale abroad (Ukraine)
render them inoperable and recycle them, or salvage them for parts that may be sold in the U.S. or exported

GTP1960
01-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Hasn't hurt VW prefered stock price yet.
their up approx 34% from Jan. 2016. (VOW.DE)

what ever their plan is, investors must like it.

weewillie
01-14-2017, 06:29 PM
cvt tranny ?????

GregW
01-14-2017, 10:05 PM
I like the idea of a regular station wagon and having something that can actually handle.
I know we're after the purchase, but did you look at the Mazda3's? I started looking at the CX3 recently and a side by side showed the CX3 had less cargo space. I didn't look at a Rogue so I couldn't say how it compares. Last night I traded my Ranger in for a 2013 Mazdaspeed3 with a 6 speed manual.

SaxMan
01-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Yes, the Nissan has the CVT tranny. It's a little odd watching the tach needle bouncing around while you're holding a steady speed.

Mazda 3 is too small. I need something big enough to fit a tandem bike, sans wheels, as well as my keyboards. That requires a bit over 5 feet of room from tailgate to front seats.

The Nissan has a lot of nifty little features that make you think "Gee, that's pretty cool". I'm definitely warming up to this little SUV.

AngliaGT
01-16-2017, 09:47 PM
I still stomach the looks of those (from the same company-
that brought us the Juke),plus all of the wasted space in the rear.I feel that
an suv should be boxy in the rear,so that you can carry more.
I saw a convertible Murano,& all that I could say aloud was-
"UGH.UGH,and UGH".
At least you don't have to look at the outside,when you're driving.

SaxMan
01-21-2017, 11:45 PM
The Rogue is darn close to vertical in the rear, and the rear seats move back and forth so you can carry more cargo or have more legroom for passengers. It swallowed up two of my keyboards in their cases as if it was nothing.

I'm actually beginning to enjoy driving it. The most interesting thing is cornering. The 4 x 4i system kicks in a bit of power to rear wheels to help cancel out the understeer that is so prevalent in front-drive vehicles. It's definitely nothing like the oversteer in the Sprite, but it makes the car corner a lot better than any other high profile vehicle I've owned. Gas mileage is around 25 mpg in mixed driving.

pdplot
01-23-2017, 11:42 PM
My son has a Rogue for his company car. He likes it - and he's an Alfa Spider owner.