PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A 1960 3A post 60,000 top installation

Tinkerman
01-12-2017, 09:22 PM
I see that I am going to need a lift the dot punch and a Tenax wrench. I think I have the wrench but not the punch. Does any one have a punch they are through with, that I might be able to buy or borrow?

All offers greatly appreciated!

Also any tips from the more experienced would be greatly appreciated. I figure I have only one shot at getting this right so all help
would be openly accepted....................

Cheers, Dick

carpecursusII
01-12-2017, 10:28 PM
Do this in the spring or summer when it's hot out. Work from the center out. If possible, use binder clips to initially hold the webbing to the frame, you will need to set up the correct spacing between the braces to align with your specific top. The outer most snap on each side of the windshield will have the most effect on wrinkling.

TR3driver
01-13-2017, 02:10 AM
Instead of the punch, I use the backing plate as a guide and make slits for the prongs with an X-acto knife. Definitely a "shade tree" method, but it works. A piece of cardboard helps, but still keep your fingers out of the way. Once the fastener is in place, I use the knife to cut around the hole.

TuffTR250
01-13-2017, 10:30 AM
I recommend installing the Lift-the-Dot connectors so the dot is off to the side, not straight down. It makes it a lot easier to release them when removing the top.
Regards, Bob

2liter4cyl
01-13-2017, 04:34 PM
I have the $75 punch I bought on e-bay for $12 + shipping. I also made the tenax punch from a brass fitting I sharpened . I'm done now, and would be willing to send both to you, hoping that when you are done, you might forward all to the next TR owner so asking. Instead of a tenax wrench, I used a small needle nose plyers. A snap ring plyers may also work. Le T.

vickxxx
01-15-2017, 02:34 PM
I used the punch from a grommet kit for tarps that I had picked up at the hardware store for 12 bucks. It gave clean cuts and worked through the whole project easily.

parkerg1
01-16-2017, 04:20 PM
When I did the tonneau cover on mine, I went to an old upholstery shop, and he had 2 or 3 punches still laying around. He also gave me a old tuna can filled with melted lead to use as a back stop, instead of wood like most people use. I borrowed both from him, and gave him $10 for rent when I brought them back. He was happy, and I saved having to buy one. I have also read many negative posts on the new after market punches. By the way, the lead worked great, I tried the wood and the lead worked much better. When it starts to get too many punch marks, just use a propane torch to re melt it.
Gary