PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 nighttime drive.

mrv8q
01-06-2017, 11:46 PM
For whatever reason, I found myself driving my TR3 home in the dark for the first time in 10 years. I'm definitely more a "meet at 9AM " kind of guy.

But it sure was fun to have to pull on both the headlights and panel switches. The gauges will have to be cleaned for the first time in a dozen years; kinda dusty in there, as dimly seen by me.

Kinda chilly out tonight, before the SoCal rains, with the "heater" doing it's best, but I'm glad to be able to do it.

Thinking of all you East coasters who can't do the same right now...

bnw
01-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Thinking of all you East coasters who can't do the same right now...[/QUOTE]

Believe me! Back in the day, we did! That's why my 5 or 6 year old cars where completely rotted out.46515 We did Portland,Oregon to Northern Michigan and back the winter of 1971 in this 59.

mrv8q
01-07-2017, 03:31 AM
Hey, bnw, that's the doppelgänger to my car, but with steel wheels.

Great pic!

TR3driver
01-07-2017, 05:38 AM
The gauges will have to be cleaned for the first time in a dozen years; kinda dusty in there, as dimly seen by me.

I've got the same problem. I think next time, I'm going to try sealing the side windows with some sort of cement, maybe that will help keep the dirt out.

Wish now I had taken a picture; when I went out yesterday there was a puddle of rainwater trapped on top of the tonneau, and a rather amazing collection of particles at the bottom of the water. Many of them sparkled almost like gold.

bnw
01-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Wish I still had it, and the black 60 with the hardtop, and the original unmolested early 57, and the 2 Series 0ne EKE coupes. and the white TR4, and the BRG TR6, and the 66 Mustang GT Convertible, the Persian Aqua TR8, the 55 AH 100/4 I found piled up with garbage at a friend's newly acquired acreage in Canyonville, OR and all the parts cars, , and some of the ones I can't remember. What I don't miss is the very first 59 that sat all summer on blocks if front of my parents very nice suburban Chicago home, completely rotted out and only 7 years old, with a busted bell housing (self induced) a few teeth missing on the counter (cluster) shaft, and steering that was so stiff from being on blocks (water in the exposed ball joints?) that it couldn't be towed away with a rope. Not to offend, but I don't miss any of the MGBs.

tinman58
01-07-2017, 04:42 PM
The few times I have driven my TR3 at night makes me want to get home asap. But back in early 80's, I drove the TR3 all the time, night, rain, heavy traffic commuting from San Jose to Stanford University (to work not to learn). And many times when I should not have, from mind altering substances. How I survived the late 70's early 80's just lucky I guess.