PDA

View Full Version : General Tech Pressure Plate Stuck?

RonR
12-23-2016, 08:58 PM
In addition to my TR3A, I have a 1959 Austin-Healey. I went to drive it last week. I headed up the driveway, and while waiting for the garage door to shut, the engine died. I restarted it, put it in gear, let the clutch out, and it would not move. I can shift it into any gear with the engine running and the clutch in, but when I release the clutch, nothing.

I have never heard of a pressure plate locking up. I have 20,000 miles on both the pressure plate and clutch.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Ron

TR3driver
12-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Do you mean the engine keeps running and doesn't move the car, or it kills the engine?

If it keeps running, it's most likely either a front U-joint failure, or a clutch friction plate. I'm not sure about an AH in particular, but with most clutches the friction surface attaches to a thin spring steel piece (or several of them) that in turn are riveted to the hub. Either the rivets or the steel can break; or the friction surface can tear loose.

RonR
12-23-2016, 09:55 PM
Engine keeps running with clutch pedal out.

Seems like if it was a u-joint, there would be a lot of noise with the clutch engaged.

TR3driver
12-24-2016, 12:34 AM
Depends on how badly it's broken. If the driveshaft is laying off to the side somewhere, the broken yoke will spin absolutely silently.

One of my most memorable moments was a full size Dodge van; broke both yokes simultaneously and the driveshaft went rolling off through the intersection ... on my Oldsmobile the driveshaft just fell down and gouged the pavement.

Marvin Gruber
12-24-2016, 12:57 AM
As mentioned in A/H forum, check flex hose first. A blocked hose will exhibit same issues. Try again after car has sat for a while and hose leaks back.
Marv

glemon
12-24-2016, 05:31 PM
The little clutch on a Sprite can wear put in 20,000 miles, and will just let go with little or no warning, being hydraulic and self adjusting. But I think the big cars clutch would normally last longer than that. Once again, I don't think big Healeys are prone to this, but a broken axle will also exhibit the same characteristics.