PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Plan

catfood
09-30-2016, 03:28 AM
Planning a long way ahead here (probably ten years or so away unless retirement is 'forced' upon me). Whats the cheapest way to tour the states. Car Hire, train, bus? Hotel, Motel, RV? The big retirement plan is to maybe spend six months or so over the other side of the pond with a list of places to visit.

NutmegCT
09-30-2016, 06:01 AM
Coincidence: my retirement plan was to tour Europe for six months!

Idea for you - rent (hire) a car and stay with friends around the USA. I stayed with friends, former colleagues and students as I drove from Connecticut to California and back in 2013. Greatest retirement trip anyone could ask for.

Probably the "cheapest" would be to make your tour using public transport (Greyhound bus!) - but it's not very comfortable.

And start planning your route SOON - there's so much to see here, but in some areas, as Red Skelton used to say - you go for miles and miles and see nothing but miles and miles.

Tom M.

JPSmit
09-30-2016, 08:20 AM
My brother and his family have toured Australia, New Zealand and Holland using home exchanges - not something you can do on a night by night basis but, if you want to stay put for a week or two in one place. On another forum there is also a bucket list sort of group who will buy a classic car in the USA - use it to tour the country and either ship it back to the UK, or, re-sell it at the end. RV`s to my mind are more about lifestyle than economy. Unless you want to spend your trip in Walmart parking lots, you have to buy/rent the unit, pay gas, pay almost hotel rates to stay and it is big and bulky.

BTW when I saw the title of this post - "Retirement Plan" and then below it your user name "Catfood" my first thought was "pretty lousy plan!" :grin:

HealeyRick
09-30-2016, 10:35 AM
You might look at a Sprinter conversion: https://www.sprinter-rv.com/diy-gallery/ Provides a place to sleep and a vehicle without the high cost of an RV. Fuel costs won't kill you. You can stay in campgrounds for shower facilities, etc. And an occasional night in a hotel for a taste of civilization or when you want to stay in a city.

GTP1960
09-30-2016, 11:08 AM
It's the "10 year" plan-ahead that is the real wildcard.
no telling what your options might be by then.
you can certainly stay at my place here in SC, if I'm still on the planet, or
if Elon Musk has his way, You may be able to put Mars on your itinerary.

https://youtu.be/0qo78R_yYFA

sail
10-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Amtrak has some longer term passes, could hop on and off and rent cars, worth a look but one way costs about the same as flying. Forget the bus unless organized tour might accommodate. I've seen small tour groups in a van but have no specifics. The best way for us is our own transportation and camping which allows you to stay where the sights are. If cities are a priority (we generally avoid) different deal. We have a Eurovan camper and before that plain van and spend all our time outdoors. We have a bucket for emergencies but is seldom used. Nice to not need hookups to ask for best view site regardless. Most have monster trailers or RV's. I've seen quite a few of these https://m.cruiseamerica.com/ worth pricing, all sizes but are traveling billboards. Possibly a leased van with cots and backpacking type cooking gear. Small rental car with tent would do but nice to have a van with no setup. Camping probably averages $30-$35 in state campgrounds which are most common and generally have electric available, flush toilets and showers. Federal can be as low as $5 or $10, are usually more remote with pit toilets and no electric. Private such as KOA $40-$50 with laundry sometimes available. We travel before Memorial Day and after Labor Day to better avoid crowds and kids, generally without reservations. Usually end up in a budget chain motel every couple weeks for around $75. I love traveling this way and am lucky to have a wife who does although she is not big on long drives. Guess we're not in a hurry to get there anyway. Have fun planning. Maybe you'll get lucky with that "early" retirement" like I did.