PDA

View Full Version : Churchill book?

NutmegCT
09-19-2016, 01:29 PM
After watching the PBS "Churchill's Secret" recently, I've renewed my interest in Winston Churchill.

What Churchill biographies have you guys read, and which do you recommend?

KBO

Tom M.

coldplugs
09-19-2016, 03:21 PM
I recently read "No More Champagne: Churchill and His Money" by David Lough and thought it was terrific. Like many busy, successful, and famous people he had money problems that would terrify most of us. I've also read several more conventional Churchill biographies but this was unusual because of the emphasis on a single aspect of his life.

NutmegCT
09-19-2016, 03:36 PM
Thanks John. What are some of the conventional biographies you'd recommend?

TM

number6
09-19-2016, 03:51 PM
I think you should read "My early life" his auto biography. It is interesting if only that it shows his life at the time imperial England is winding down.

NutmegCT
09-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Thanks Tom. Good suggestion. I've also read that after WW2, Churchill wanted to keep as much of the Empire together as possible, rather than see independent states.

T.

number6
09-19-2016, 04:13 PM
I believe he was very much opposed to dividing England. He led the last cavalry charge the empire engaged in, with all the military trappings that entails.
I have read a bit about him and have the idea that he did not approve of TE Lawrence. I get the notion he believed Lawrence's actions in the mideast
led to the beginning of the end for the empire.

coldplugs
09-19-2016, 04:29 PM
I think number6's suggestion is a good one. I've read a couple of books by Churchill and they're certainly worth the time although he did tend to embellish & forget now and then - but that makes things even more interesting.

The "Last Lion" trilogy was outstanding if you have the time to read about 2000 pages (3 volumes) and Churchill:A Life is great if you don't.

NutmegCT
09-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Adding to the winter reading list:

Churchill "The Second World War" series.

Eisenhower "Crusade in Europe"

Max Hastings "Retribution"

and a few more.