PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeves - we all have them

Basil
09-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Recent thread about extreme loud music made me wonder what other pet peeves people may have. One of my pet peeves is when people at the supermarket don't return their shopping carts, but just leave them in the middle of a parking space. At most places that use carts, there are places where you can return the cart at different locations around the parking lot. Some people are too lazy to walk 20 feet and thoughtlessly just leave their cart in the adjacent parking space. Arrrrggg! :mad-new:

HealeyRick
09-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Auto related:

Austin-Healy
Sterling Moss
Alpha Romero
Camero

NutmegCT
09-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Pet peeves? My list is endless!

One at the top:

People with shopping carts that stop and block the the aisle to chat on their cellphones. "Honey - should I get the white rice or the brown rice? You know, for tomorrow. Tomorrow is your mom's birthday. She's coming over for dinner. You forgot? Aw, remember that nice sweater you gave her last year? No - the one with the red lines on it. Yep - that's the one. Did you call her today? I mean after you finished working in the garage. Aw, I think you should. "

grumble grumble

Basil
09-09-2016, 12:57 PM
How about people who park next to you so close that you have to suck in your gut to get to your door.

Gliderman8
09-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Drivers that pull into the EZ-Pass toll booth WITHOUT an E-Z Pass!
You end up stuck in the lane with no escape while waiting for a police officer to collect the info from the irresponsible driver.

Basil
09-09-2016, 01:09 PM
People who start to pass in interstate, then stop right in your blind spot and stay there forever!

CaptRandy
09-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Talking on cell phone at checkout counter while the attendant is trying to talk to them. Stopping a traffic light and pick up phone. The new ignorance. Running or walking in street when there are sidewalks. No lights on bikes at night. Bike riders double and triple side by side on two lane road. Double parking to let someone out of car then have to have a conversation. Ice cream/water ice standing in line while the mother/father read all the flavors while at the window for the child to decide. Why not read them while you are in line and not wait to get to counter to have the kid decide before you get in line? Better yet give him/her 2 or 3 choices period.

HealeyRick
09-09-2016, 01:24 PM
How about people who park next to you so close that you have to suck in your gut to get to your door.

This guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiOFcH0ujY0

Careful, Bas. You may shut down the server with the traffic this thread will generate.

Basil
09-09-2016, 01:26 PM
And that's another thing - people who park right next to you when there are hundreds of empty spaces close by with no cars!

AngliaGT
09-09-2016, 02:30 PM
I work in a grocery store,& a few things are cell phone talkers-
some NEVER stop talking the whole time they're in the store.
- People who can't put stuff back where it goes - especially perishable items.
- Shopping carts - those are usually the ones who go ballistic when their
car gets dinged
- People who parking in handicapped designated spots
- Rude people - especially college students.

And then,there's the Harley riders who have overly loud exhausts
that have to keep revving them up at stoplights.
- Jacked up 4WD crew cab diesel pickups,whose drivers have to floor it
every time they take off from a stop.
- People who have the above trucks,that have no use for them,but have
to block the sidewalk,because they're too big to fit in their driveway.
- Chihuahuas - the people who live across the ally from me have THREE-
of them,& they bark every time that they're let out into the front yard,
& at anything that moves within 100 feet.
I talked to the owner,& she said that she "Couldn't do anything about it-
they bark".
The good thing is - vacation's only two days away!

Basil
09-09-2016, 03:14 PM
People who will take a nicely folded shirt or pair of pants off a table at Costco (or wherever) unfold it, put it up to their bodies to see if it looks like right size, then toss it back on the table unfolded. When I unfold something to see how it looks, or to see if I think it would fit, I always try to put it back as close to original as possible.

sail
09-09-2016, 05:33 PM
People who slow down to hold the door for you, but they're in the way, you can't go thru the door till they MOVE!

SaxMan
09-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Kids riding bikes without helmets. Yes, I know we all grew up not wearing them, but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. As a kid, I ended up in the Emergency Room one time for a crash that would have been considerably mitigated if I had been wearing a helmet. I was in a ward with three other kids that crashed that day. I was the only one without a concussion, and one of the kids was projectile vomiting. That's a sound you don't forget. These days, I'd never consider getting on a bike without one.

Because helmet use under the age of 16 is a law, when I'm on duty as a volunteer with the local Park Police, I ask parents where their child's helmets are. I get some crazy excuses. Some of the best:

"Oh, it's still in the car" - Ok, so you made the effort to bring it with you, but not put it on?
"He says it's uncomfortable" -- Lady, have you ever had a concussion? That's a lot more uncomfortable than wearing a helmet.
"Oh, it's a law?" - no comment
"But he's on training wheels" -- Bikes on training wheels can fall over, too. Better to get good habits started early. My daughter knows she has to wear her "funny hat" any time she gets on a bike, because that's what we always did, from dragging her in a trailer to riding a tandem bike with me.
Or they have the helmet attached to the handlebars -- what good is that going to do?

But maybe the worst are the ones where the parents are wearing helmets and the kids aren't. Or one of the kids has a helmet and the other doesn't. "Oh, you must love this child more than the other..." Or when I see a couple going out for a ride and the boyfriend is wearing a helmet while the girlfriend isn't. I guess chivalry is dead.

That's my two cents for Pet Peeves

longbridgehealey
09-09-2016, 07:52 PM
50 mph in the passing lane FOR MILES

HealeyRick
09-09-2016, 08:01 PM
How about when you're on an escalator and the person in front of you gets off, stops at the top of the stairs and starts to stare around on the new floor like they just landed on Mars? Meanwhile, you're right behind them and looking for a way to get off without smacking into them.

John Turney
09-09-2016, 09:12 PM
- Chihuahuas - the people who live across the ally from me have THREE-
of them,& they bark every time that they're let out into the front yard,
& at anything that moves within 100 feet....

Only three? The guy behind us had TWELVE! He couldn't figure out if you had a male and a female that soon there would be a bunch of puppies. They would go out in the back yard and bark - starting at 2AM for at least an hour, if not more.

AngliaGT
09-10-2016, 01:40 AM
Oh yeah, & IDIOTS who never turn off their driving lights!
I always felt that,if you use them,you turn them off whenever
there's oncoming traffic.

catfood
09-10-2016, 06:08 AM
When announcing the winner of something on the TV. That looooooong pause......

catfood
09-10-2016, 06:22 AM
riding bikes without helmets

I was in Italy many years ago and I was told that they had just passed a law requiring moped riders to wear helmets. Teenagers being too cool to wear them on their heads and noting that the law was not specific in saying where they should wear them all had very well protected elbows!

JPSmit
09-10-2016, 07:10 AM
1. Manufactured Drama on reality and even home reno shows.

2. News reporting that just makes stuff up. (we just had a run of "We're going to have a terrible cold winter new items - based on the Farmer's Almanac. - They should have brought in the groundhog as an ":expert."

3. Lists of pet peeves. :devilgrin: (OK I made that one up)

4. Oh, and people who say "Uh huh" when you say thank you - what happened to you're welcome? and people who say "have a nice one." A nice what?

JPSmit
09-10-2016, 07:12 AM
One more. People who use "iregardless" - irregardless of whether it is a real word. :grin:

Basil
09-10-2016, 09:56 AM
One more. People who use "iregardless" - irregardless of whether it is a real word. :grin:

Another one is when people use a double negative and end up saying the opposite of what they mean. For example, "I didn't do nothing," meaning "I did something." Or, "I don't have none," meaning "I have some."

CaptRandy
09-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Have to add: I feel badly. then can you feel goodly? It's I feel bad.

coldplugs
09-10-2016, 02:30 PM
People who use wooded areas as a place to dump old tires, sinks, etc.

Inconsiderate Jetski operators

Ditto on the yappy dogs

People who move next to a gun club and then start efforts to close it because of noise

Incorrect usage of apostrophe's :friendly_wink:

With more added daily as I get older....

pdplot
09-10-2016, 03:41 PM
And from an old fart:
Ditto shopping carts left in lot. I always walk them back to the store just for the exercise. And I'm 82.
On I-95 under Cruise Control, you come up on a slow driver and can't pass because there's a guy creeping into your blind spot so you have to come out of CC;
The jerk at the toll booth who's asking how to get to Cleveland by way of Richmond and Chicago;
GPS directions that are clearly wrong because you know the route;
Cardboard milk cartons that you can't open without leaving a dirty fingerprint on the tab the milk comes out of;
Dog owners who don't pick up after their precious pooches;
"No Internet Connection";
Careless morons who open their car door and bang it into your door. I have a small but deep dimple in the driver door of my leased Subaru - too small to take out, big enough to notice;
"Hi! I'm Shawn your waiter and I'll be waiting on you tonight"> OK Shawn. I'm PD and I'm your customer and you'd better get the order right;
Noisy restaurants. We've walked out of a few. They think young people like noise. Maybe they're right;
Kids running around restaurants while parents let them. I once told an obnoxious little twerp to SIT DOWN!. He glared at me, but obeyed. Several tables thanked me.
Porsh instead of Por-sha.
Women - and some men - who BS with the bank teller while you wait in line just to cash a check;
Improper use of a golf cart that slows up play for everybody;
Football players who celebrate after making a first down like they just won the Super Bowl;
TV ads that you don't know what the product is;
Pop-up ads on You Tube and the Internet;
Wide-mouth jars that are impossible to open. I've returned a few.
Anyone over the age of 16 that wears a baseball hat backwards, thereby negating its usefulness.
Did I leave out anything??

NutmegCT
09-10-2016, 04:06 PM
How 'bout ... you take your car to the shop for the 9am appointment. Right on time.

Mechanic drives it to the lift, and raises it up.

Mechanic immediately gets called to the front desk. Another customer wants to "talk" to him about possible mods to his car - which isn't even at the shop. Customer won't shut up.

After 90 minutes (yep, 90 minutes), mechanic is still stuck with customer who won't stop yakking.

I walk up to mechanic, and calmly say "So how's the work on my car going?"

Mechanic says "It's really busy today - sorry." Yakking customer then realizes what's happening, and leaves.

Mechanic starts to work on my car.

Good grief.

JPSmit
09-10-2016, 07:48 PM
And from an old fart:

"Hi! I'm Shawn your waiter and I'll be waiting on you tonight"> OK Shawn. I'm PD and I'm your customer and you'd better get the order right;

Ooo Oooo "Hi, I'm Shawn, how are we tonight?" "I'm fine, don't you know how you are?"

AngliaGT
09-10-2016, 08:12 PM
.... & Nascar drivers who have to spin donuts EVERY TIME,
when they win.

HealeyRick
09-10-2016, 08:18 PM
A day at the auto parts store:

"I want some 3/8" heater hose."

"What year and car is it from?"

"A '63 Austin-Healey 3000."

"Sorry, we're not showing that in our listings'

"OK, I just want some 3/8: hose"

"Sorry, we don't show that application for your car.'

Gliderman8
09-10-2016, 09:31 PM
How about asking for a 5/16"-24 bolt and the guy at the store asks "what are you going to use it for?"
Duh, a 5/16" threaded hole.

Basil
09-10-2016, 11:10 PM
How about asking for a 5/16"-24 bolt and the guy at the store asks "what are you going to use it for?"
Duh, a 5/16" threaded hole.

Actually that's not that dumb of a question because bolts come in different grades. A grade 8 bolt is much stronger in terms of load and tensile strength, but if you're bolting something together that isn't going to put a lot of load on the bolt then a grade 2 or 5 might be ok.

PAUL161
09-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Elliot, A lot of folks haven't the knowledge that some of us do about tensile strength of bolts, probably why the question was asked. I have a chart for shear strength of bolts which I need for some of the bolts on my equipment and periodically it comes in handy. I have 2 pieces of equipment that take bolts designed to sheer, up to a 5 will sheer, an 8 will not sheer and break the shaft. I learned that the hard way! $$$$$! :rolleyes2:

Bayless
09-11-2016, 11:12 AM
The bolt question reminded me of an incident. I went to the hardware store with my son-in-law to get more nails. Clerk asked if he could help. I said we need a pound of 16 penny nails. Clerk foolishly asked "How long do you want them?" I of course answered "Probably a long time. We're building a wall." I had been wanting to do that for years.

PAUL161
09-11-2016, 12:02 PM
:lol: That's funny! I would loved to have seen the look on his face. :highly_amused: PJ

DavidApp
09-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Driving on the Interstate in the Right hand lane catching up with an eighteen wheeler. You can see someone is catching up with you a bit faster than you are to the truck so you decide to let them pass and intend to pull out behind them.
They then slow to match your speed till you are forced to brake/slow down then they resume their previous speed.

Drivers Reading books/newspaper/map on the steering wheel while doing 65 mph on I 20.

David

NutmegCT
09-11-2016, 06:55 PM
How 'bout some of my wunnerful neighbors, who put their kids on skate boards, and pull the boards with the lawn tractor *while mowing*.

And of course, while Dad is mowing, he's wearing headphones.

Good grief. I've heard too many stories of kids horribly mutilated while riding behind a mower.

Basil
09-11-2016, 07:51 PM
How 'bout some of my wunnerful neighbors, who put their kids on skate boards, and pull the boards with the lawn tractor *while mowing*.

And of course, while Dad is mowing, he's wearing headphones.

Good grief. I've heard too many stories of kids horribly mutilated while riding behind a mower.

Dad doesn't sound too bright. Maybe ate lead paint chips as a child?

CaptRandy
09-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Not for most but when I was running SAR(search and rescue) in Coast Guard, hated the jet skiers and small boaters who just had to go out in rough surf for the thrill and we would have to go out to rescue them. USCG motto you have to go out but you don't have to come back.

pdplot
09-11-2016, 09:09 PM
One more I forgot. You're inside a car showroom looking at that convertible when a salesman comes up and says "Whaddya think?".
Another cliche - "What will it take to get you into that car?" Answer - "a less pushy salesman".

Basil
09-11-2016, 09:18 PM
I just hate it when people take their anteaters for a walk and not pick up after their messes.

sail
09-11-2016, 09:35 PM
I went to buy a Civic a while back 1 mile from home, I say "hi I'm Richard," salesman says "good to meet you Dick."
I drove down to Iowa City and bought one an hour later. He probably has a jet ski.

number6
09-11-2016, 10:13 PM
I am annoyed at people who refuse to look left or right when crossing the road. They all have that look and attitude that says
Hit Me! I see very young kids just waltz across with I phones, not a care in the world. I seem to remember growing up with my
parents pounding that point home.

mikephillips
09-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Those who aren't paying attention and run into you and then state YOU should be watching where you're going. Drivers of large vans and trucks who pull up next to you while you're waiting to turn right and block the line of sight, even though they see over you. I've pulled further forward, and so do they like it's some sort of game.

Saw some lady over the weekend pull up in front of my home and when she saw me moved a few doors down. Let her dog out of the car, it went and did it's business, hopped back in and off they went. Finding beer cans and cigarette butts dumped in the yard where someone late at night decided to clean out the car. And one morning a pile of old tires in the street with a sign that said "Don't worry, they're free for you guys". Least I don't have a home owners association to nitpick the color of the house and landscaping...

pdplot
09-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Two comments. To Nutmeg CT - I always wear my old aircraft earphones when cutting the grass on my lawn tractor. I already have a 35% hearing reduction in my right ear thanks to an airboat ride years ago where the crappy plug of cotton they gave you fell out during the ride and I didn't notice it until the ride was over. I was stone deaf in my right ear for 26 hours. I also put them on when vacuuming (which I rarely do).
To Mike Phillips - I live on a well-traveled road and constantly find bottles and can out near the curb.

GregW
09-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Two comments. To Nutmeg CT - I always wear my old aircraft earphones when cutting the grass on my lawn tractor. I already have a 35% hearing reduction in my right ear thanks to an airboat ride years ago where the crappy plug of cotton they gave you fell out during the ride and I didn't notice it until the ride was over. I was stone deaf in my right ear for 26 hours.
I think Tom's comment about earplugs was that if the boy being pulled behind got into trouble, the father wouldn't know anything until he was sprayed with red.

pdplot
09-13-2016, 10:08 PM
I hate when that happens.

Basil
09-13-2016, 10:47 PM
50 mph in the passing lane FOR MILES

That reminded me of a funny bit that has been around for a while - a prayer by an elderly lady as she gives a prayer at an event.

https://youtu.be/vPFCn3itBFE

sail
09-14-2016, 07:31 AM
Just saw this, get a pad made for those who are parking challenged:
assuming none of us would take two spots for our LBC.

Basil
09-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Just saw this, get a pad made for those who are parking challenged:
assuming none of us would take two spots for our LBC.

Haha Need to carry a stack of those in my wallet!

PC
09-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Taking up two spaces is always rude but I guess it's not a capital offence if it's way out in the boonies of completely uncrowded parking lot. Doing it up front or in a crowded lot minimally rates a flogging.

Special mention goes to the Moron who parked his Camaro across two spaces at a Cars&Coffee with limited available parking, because, you know... those guys on either side of him with the Countach and Delorean might open their doors into him.

Mickey Richaud
09-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Along the lines of "irregardless":

"Went missing" Why can't you just say "are missing"?
"Early on" Shouldn't it be "earlier on"? After all, you don't say, "late on".

And one of the worst: "You and I" when it should be "you and me". Whenever the pronouns are objects, they should be third person, "you and me", not first person. As in "John invited you and I to dinner."

But then, I've always been picky when it comes to grammar.

coldplugs
09-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Along the lines of "irregardless":
<snipped>
But then, I've always been picky when it comes to grammar.

So have I, except for "Who" vs "Whom". I think the court of language usage should cut us all some slack on that one.

maynard
09-15-2016, 06:48 PM
When someone asks me if I know the time, I look at my watch and say yes.

Silverghost
09-16-2016, 12:02 AM
You show up on time for a doctor appointment and they make you wait 30-45-60 minutes or more BUT if YOU show up fifteen minutes late, you have to schedule another appointment and the first available is 6 months out.
There, their, they're
Orientated - I looked this one up, it is a word but I think it became a word because it is so widely used it's become accepted.
The car 5 cars back that starts honking the SECOND the light goes green.

sail
09-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Work nerds.

My plate is full but lets take it offline where our challenge is to think outside the box and take it to the next level not comparing apples to oranges but where the rubber meets the road and at the end of the day we'll get the most bang for the buck. Awesome meeting team!

I really do not miss work.

Mickey Richaud
09-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Work nerds.

My plate is full but lets take it offline where our challenge is to think outside the box and take it to the next level not comparing apples to oranges but where the rubber meets the road and at the end of the day we'll get the most bang for the buck. Awesome meeting team!

Thank you, Mr. Cliche'!

:devilgrin:
Mickey

59diamond
09-16-2016, 12:55 PM
At the end of the day. I worked with a guy who was always saying this. Why couldn't he get it done at the beginning ot even the middle of the day

Basil
09-16-2016, 01:44 PM
At the end of the day. I worked with a guy who was always saying this. Why couldn't he get it done at the beginning ot even the middle of the day

That seems to be a favorite of many politicians - of all stripes. I hate that expression!

anarchy99
09-16-2016, 04:10 PM
-Holding the door for people, and they don't say thank you.
-people that open a door, see you a few feet away, but don't hold it.

anarchy99
09-16-2016, 05:16 PM
-grown men that call my Sprite "cute".
-the same people that say they owned one "just like it" years ago.
-people that say "nice mustang" to my 69 yenko clone camaro.

Gliderman8
09-16-2016, 05:45 PM
When someone calls my car "cute" I use the line I heard on Top Gear:
"if my TR6 used the bathroom, it would leave the seat up" :excitement:

pdplot
09-17-2016, 06:02 PM
From daughter - People who say "No Problem" when you thank them.
Cashing out of a store and the register tape runs out and the clerk can't thread the new roll through.
"Store manager to register Three" Oh, oh.
You eat $27 worth of food and hand the waiter a $50 bill and he asks you if you want change.
And from me - Men who take a huge dump, etc. and leave it for the next guy to flush down. Disgusting.
Preboarding an airplane.

Basil
09-17-2016, 06:05 PM
At work, men who don't fully shake things off before stepping away from the urinal, with the result being you have to stand on a yucky wet floor to use the urinal.

kennypinkerton
09-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Lol. Barefoot?

Basil
09-17-2016, 07:36 PM
Lol. Barefoot?

Umm, no. :eagerness:

AngliaGT
09-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Lol. Barefoot?

.....& those that leave the BCF for a long break,
& don't post about it when they return!

kennypinkerton
09-19-2016, 04:48 PM
Hahaha. I did. Amongst several comments in other people's posts. :devilgrin:

Basil
09-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Hahaha. I did. Amongst several comments in other people's posts. :devilgrin:

Oh good! A scavenger hunt!

waltesefalcon
09-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Kenny hijacked my post about being gone for awhile, so if you want to know where he has been (the middle of nowhere) search there.

kennypinkerton
09-20-2016, 08:50 PM
That's one of em. Sorry for the hijack Walter. :o
I actually intended for my "What's For Dinner?" post to be my reintroduction... as that was my regular weekly post here.

judow
09-24-2016, 06:05 AM
Great post. After reading it and I did, I've come to the conclusion that it's the "all about me" attitude that is the catalyst for this bad behavior.

Gliderman8
09-24-2016, 07:13 AM
The term "baby carrots". As far as I know carrots don't have babies. Of course when I close the fridge, I have no idea what goes on inside.

sail
09-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Or if the light goes out.

Basil
09-24-2016, 04:34 PM
People who enter a 75MPH highway from the on-ramp at 40MPH!

Rhodyspit75
09-24-2016, 05:27 PM
People who enter a 75MPH highway from the on-ramp at 40MPH!

Worse than that. People who stop at the end of the ramp when getting onto the highway.

SD Bugeye
09-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Ok mine?
call it what is.
cars that have idiot light on the dash and it's called GEN
AND IT DOESNT HAVE ONE !

Basil
09-25-2016, 11:09 AM
People who carry unsecured or inadequately secured loads in the back of a truck or on a trailer or on top of a vehicle.

I have had numerous close calls over the years where I've had to react quickly to avoid disaster! For example once, while driving my Vett through Memphis on way home from Huntsville, a ladder came off the top of a van and I had to swing hard left to keep from having it come through my windshield. It was a reflex action and I was lucky there was no one to my left at that instant.

Another more recent incident occurred on I-40 near my house. One morning, on my way to work, a very large piece of plywood came off a trailer in front of me and came flying towards my car! Again, reflexes kicked in to avoided being hit. Luckily I am in the habit of not tailgating or I'd never have avoided it.

A good friend and a guy I used to work with lost his wife to a similar incident. Andy's wife was north-bound on I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver when something came out of a truck in front of her. She reflexively jerked the wheel to avoid being hit. Unfortunately, her SUV rolled and she was killed. The thing that came off the truck was a large piece of styrofoam that would have done nothing had it hit her SUV.

Moral of the story: If you are hauling anything - SECURE YOUR LOAD!

Darwin
09-25-2016, 11:20 AM
People who say "these ones" and "those ones". Like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Also people who say "warsh" instead of "wash".

Basil
09-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Also people who say "warsh" instead of "wash".

Guilty. But in my defense, I grew up in West-by-God-Virginia and heard "warsh cloth and "warsh-ington DC" and "Crick" instead of Creek all my young life. It's a regional thing (thang)

John Turney
09-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Guilty. But in my defense, I grew up in West-by-God-Virginia and heard "warsh cloth and "warsh-ington DC" and "Crick" instead of Creek all my young life. It's a regional thing (thang)

Like "necked".

Basil
09-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Bicyclists who ride right on the line or even a little into the road when riding on a bike path adjacent to the roadway. On rt66 near my house, the right and left shoulders are about 6 ft wide for bikes. It drives me crazy when they ride right on the line or even in the car traffic lane as if to dare someone to hit them!

AngliaGT
09-26-2016, 06:47 PM
And people who parking in front of a fire hydrant,& park in
a handicapped place,when they aren't.
I just got into an argument with a guy,after informing his
girlfriend that she was parked in a handicapped space,who thought
that it was no big deal.
The girl said that she was "just going to parked there for a minute".
She did however,move after that.

John Turney
09-27-2016, 07:14 PM
So I went into a large chain auto parts store today to buy a timing light. The guy standing there behind the counter in front of the timing lights asks if he can help.

I tell him "I'm looking for a timing light." He looks at his computer screen and says "This way" as he leads me down the isle with the light bulbs to stop in front of the drop lights.

I say "No, these aren't timing lights."

I head back toward the counter. The second guy comes up and asks if he can help. I tell him "I'm looking for a timing light."

Fortunately, he knew what one was, although he didn't know any more than that.

NutmegCT
09-27-2016, 07:51 PM
John - that reinforces my thoughts that young folk these days have no clue about things like plugs, points, carbs, timing, valves, etc.

Darwin
09-27-2016, 08:28 PM
People who can't crimp connectors so they don't pull off the wire. (That one is aimed at me. Rewiring the dash on the spitfire and I am finding a lot of connectors with bad crimps, all of which I did.):livid:

Basil
09-27-2016, 08:36 PM
People who can't crimp connectors so they don't pull off the wire. (That one is aimed at me. Rewiring the dash on the spitfire and I am finding a lot of connectors with bad crimps, all of which I did.):livid:

Maybe your crimping tool is worn out? :cool-new:

Darwin
09-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Very good tool, poor operation I do believe. Checking and repairing as I go.

JPSmit
09-28-2016, 03:29 PM
John - that reinforces my thoughts that young folk these days have no clue about things like plugs, points, carbs, timing, valves, etc.

but why would they? I wouldn't have the first clue about how to put in a bit or a bridle or put on a saddle - for exactly the same reason.

waltesefalcon
09-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Who doesn't know how to put a bit and bridle on a horse or saddle it? Bunch of city slickers, that's who. Need to just go back to where they are from and leave all of us alone.

Basil
09-28-2016, 10:39 PM
Who doesn't know how to put a bit and bridle on a horse or saddle it? Bunch of city slickers, that's who. Need to just go back to where they are from and leave all of us alone.

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/nFsxZOMSvHQnWU6hMJC3ij3JbQx.jpg

pdplot
09-29-2016, 11:34 AM
I don't trust any animal that's bigger than I am. And - how smart can an animal be if it lets you ride on its back?

Boink
09-29-2016, 11:48 AM
MY PEEVE:
The delay in turning off bright screens at the symphony or a play. They know those things have to be turned off... and now that the lights are low, they're fiddling with the dang things.
Related: the moment intermission rolls around, out come the phones.

We went to "Fiddler On The Roof" (on Broadway) about 2 weeks ago. There was a guy next to me that never turned if off and held the screen against his leg. He'd take peeks every minute (to FaceBook) until I looked at him squarely and said "stop it!" He did.

PC
09-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Very good tool, poor operation I do believe. Checking and repairing as I go.
Ratcheting?

Darwin
09-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Ratcheting?
Nope. Hand squeeze. I had injured my wrists just before doing the wiring the last time. No power in my hands. Going better this time.

glemon
10-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Computers and smart phones that seem to slow down and get clunky over time for no apparent reason as if they have some built in obsolescence

New software and operating systems that move around/change all the commands and controls so you have to relearn all the things you new how to do perfectly well and were perfectly happy with for the tenth time now. Make it faster, more secure, more reliable, keep the operation the same, if they switched the clutch and brake with each new car that came out the press and public would come unglued, but we accept the same like cattle on computers and other automated devices.

Yield signs, it is a really simple concept, but seems like half or more don't get it, on both sides, I have people yield to me when I have the yield sign, and people who have the yield sign and still barrel on through.

Four way stops--this is probably my biggest, a third or so just pull up and always think it is their turn, a third pull up scared to death and think it is never their turn, a third try to go in order, but are so flummoxed about everyone else not that they can't figure out what to do either.

mikephillips
10-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Speaking of stop signs, those who view them as just some sort of "vague" suggestion, maybe they'll stop, maybe just slow down a bit.

Or those not paying enough attention and deciding "nope, not where I wanted to go". Had some lady in a van in front of me turn onto the freeway on ramp the other day. Got all the way to the end, hit the brakes and turned around and headed back down the ramp in the wrong direction mouthing "sorry" and waving as she headed back. Pay attention people and know where you want to go!!..

Basil
10-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Ok, this is more than a Pet Peeve, it is more along the lines of raging outrage! Let me caveat this by saying, this is NOT intended as a political statement because my issue is non-partisan - I.E., I don't care WHO is doing it or which party or candidate would benefit. But, I have been reading a lot lately about voter fraud. It is a bigger problem than some may think. There are many documented reports of people voting multiple times, just in different counties. Also, I read a recent report (happens to be in Colorado) where dead people are on the voter roles and living family members (or others) are voting on behalf of the dead people. I'm sure this is happening in other states.

My take - I served my country for 24 years and many people have died to protect and defend our freedoms. The right we have to vote is sacred and in my humble opinion, ANYONE - regardless of party - who is found guilty of intentionally diluting your vote or my vote via intentional fraud of any kind, should be sentenced to 20 years in prison - minimum. Yes, I know that sounds harsh, but people have died to protect that right and we should be very very harsh on anyone who commits fraud against you and I and our right to vote!

kennypinkerton
10-10-2016, 10:40 PM
I agree with you on that Basil. Aside from that, I'm about tired of people seemingly not noticing my white 06 F150, and trying to pull out onto the highway directly in front of me like they have a deathwish.

Basil
10-11-2016, 01:51 AM
I agree with you on that Basil. Aside from that, I'm about tired of people seemingly not noticing my white 06 F150, and trying to pull out onto the highway directly in front of me like they have a deathwish.

How about those people (I always seem to get behind) who are doing 40MPH when they enter onto a freeway with a 75MPH speed limit!

PAUL161
10-11-2016, 08:21 AM
How about those people (I always seem to get behind) who are doing 40MPH when they enter onto a freeway with a 75MPH speed limit!

Had this happen more than once, dropping down on the acceleration lane on a freeway and the person in front of me comes to a full stop! And, if you hit them it's your fault! They shouldn't even be behind the wheel! Not that I couldn't stop, but what's the joker behind me going to do. :argue: