PDA

View Full Version : Dude, where are my wheels?

Boink
08-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Daring (https://bestride.com/news/industry-news/thieves-make-off-with-250000-in-wheels-and-tires-from-texas-dealership)...

NutmegCT
08-26-2016, 03:37 PM
What a rotten thing to happen! (Those guys worked fast - maybe race track experience?)

But I've wondered for years, with tens of thousands of "open car lots" across the USA - why there are relatively few reports of major vandalism.

Boink
08-26-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm rather amazed that there weren't motion-sensors or a guard dog.

Basil
08-26-2016, 04:10 PM
What a rotten thing to happen! (Those guys worked fast - maybe race track experience?)

But I've wondered for years, with tens of thousands of "open car lots" across the USA - why there are relatively few reports of major vandalism.

Oh really? Come live in Albuquerque. Where I worked up until just recently, we had pretty regular acts of vandalism (usually accompanied by theft and/or attempted theft.) Several co-workers had cars broken into in broad daylight and items stolen. On guy, Andres our mail room clerk, had his pickup stolen right off the lot! Once about two years ago, I was sitting at my 2nd floor desk, looking out across the parking lot and saw someone attempting to steal a spare tire from under a small Pickup that was parked directly in front of my window. Fortunately, someone startled him and he drove off (with a girl at the wheel of the getaway car) before he could complete the theft. The owner of the pickup, another co-worker, had the spare chained to the frame, which slowed down the thief.

NutmegCT
08-27-2016, 06:45 AM
Yikes - fortunately that kind of thing doesn't happen here, other than maybe the major cities.

:eek:

Basil
08-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Yikes - fortunately that kind of thing doesn't happen here, other than maybe the major cities.

:eek:

That's where there are more targets of opportunity unfortunately. That's why I try to park as close to a business as possible - in view of security cameras at least.

Bayless
08-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Years ago my mother was volunteering at a major hospital. After her shift, when she tried to start the '61 Chevy, nothing happened. A friendly fellow offered to jump the battery for her. When he lifted the hood, the whole motor was gone. The car was in the main parking lot, outside in plain view.

Boink
08-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Years ago my mother was volunteering at a major hospital. After her shift, when she tried to start the '61 Chevy, nothing happened. A friendly fellow offered to jump the battery for her. When he lifted the hood, the whole motor was gone. The car was in the main parking lot, outside in plain view.

WOW!!! Now THAT I've never heard of. Amazing. You have to hand it to those folks for such a brazen theft!

mikephillips
08-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Helps too that most guys engaged in that "business" are morons.