PDA

View Full Version : Chromecast?

NutmegCT
08-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Just wondered if we've got any Chromecast users here. I'd been using it for several years, usually to send YouTube video direct to my TV.

Lightning hit my house last week, and I had to replace my wireless router.

Got it all hooked up and am able to cast my laptop screen to the TV using Chromecast - no problem.

But the Chromecast icon that used to be on the bottom line of each YouTube video window is gone.

https://www.allthosethingsilove.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Fullscreen-capture-922013-14032-AM.bmp.jpg

The icon marked with the arrow is no longer there. It was there until I had to replace the router. The icon is still at the upper right of the Chrome browser, but not on the YT window itself.

Now I can only cast the laptop screen - not just the video. I can max the YT window - but I'm still casting the screen - not the YT itself. This is a big problem, because I'm "mirroring" the desktop, using too much CPU and wireless power, which leads to choppy video and audio.

When the YT is directly cast to the TV, the signal goes directly from router to TV, and eliminates the laptop from the loop.

Confoozled!
Tom M.

Basil
08-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Have you tried starting over with your Chromecast set up to re-establish on the new router/IP?

NutmegCT
08-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks. I did the entire setup routine, so the Chromecast on the TV does show my new router. The laptop sends directly to TV without problem, so comms are established.

It's just the YouTube window that doesn't send to TV. There's no Chromecast icon on the YT window - so I have to cast the entire laptop screen to the TV.

grumble grumble

catfood
08-26-2016, 11:37 AM
I've had that issue occasionally. I can usually fix it by casting something that's not YT then switching back. In my case BBC iPlayer but I doubt you can get that over there.

NutmegCT
08-26-2016, 11:56 AM
I've had that issue occasionally. I can usually fix it by casting something that's not YT then switching back. In my case BBC iPlayer but I doubt you can get that over there.

By golly gumdrops - I think you fixed it!

I cranked up Chrome, cast the full desktop screen to TV (connected to TV fine, but video and audio choppy). Then stopped the casting. Then went to YouTube, chose a video, and lo and behold - the Chromecast icon was back! Yeehaa!

Now to watch that all important Michael Wood "Search for Offa of Mercia" (1980).

Thanks!
Tom M.
(Seriously - those Michael Wood histories are excellent!)

JPSmit
08-26-2016, 03:52 PM
Glad it sorted itself out. My chromecast disappears pretty much everytime I want to use it but, I have learned that going into the router and refreshing it finds it. Mine is last generation though - not too current.

OTOH I am using PLEX media server a lot these days! Started by looking at a Kodi box (like Roku) but saw that plex just loaded on the tv itself - no add on hardware and find it about 90% awesome! And apparantly, for now at least, legal as it is streaming not downloading. And free!

NutmegCT
08-26-2016, 04:14 PM
J-P - could you give a bit more detail about "going into the router and refreshing it"? My Chrome browser casts just fine, but the YouTube cast icon often "disappears", I'm wondering how you do that.

Thanks.
TM

JPSmit
08-26-2016, 10:49 PM
J-P - could you give a bit more detail about "going into the router and refreshing it"? My Chrome browser casts just fine, but the YouTube cast icon often "disappears", I'm wondering how you do that.

Thanks.
TM

recognizing that I am currently 1000 miles from my router.

All routers (wireless at least) have an IP address. I can't recall just now how to find it, but, google it and it is easy. Mine has a default login and then I go to the settings where the channels are (how is that for vague!) and next to my channel (11 not the one assigned) is a refresh button. Click and go.

BTW early chromecasts don't work with 5 ghz (or is it Mhz) only 2.4

Mickey Richaud
08-27-2016, 07:15 AM
recognizing that I am currently 1000 miles from my router.

Wow! That's one powerful router!

NutmegCT
08-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Agreed!

The router reset technique doesn't work on my Chromecast problem. So maybe I should just use J-P's router!

Basil
08-27-2016, 10:35 AM
Agreed!

The router reset technique doesn't work on my Chromecast problem. So maybe I should just use J-P's router!

The final solution!

JPSmit
08-28-2016, 12:29 AM
The final solution!

trust me, i have a booster just to get it all the way through the house. That said, the final solution involves a BFH and a chainsaw.

NutmegCT
08-29-2016, 08:24 AM
Update. It wasn't Chromecast causing the problem at all. YouTube had moved to a new "look" - and took away the Chromecast icon.

I accidentally discovered this when I was poking around on the YT site. Under my YT username, among the settings was "Restore classic YouTube".

Chose that - and the Chromecast icon re-appeared on all the YT video windows. Good grief - I sure don't remember YT notifying us of a change.

Onward through the fog.
Tom M.

Basil
08-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Update. It wasn't Chromecast causing the problem at all. YouTube had moved to a new "look" - and took away the Chromecast icon.

I accidentally discovered this when I was poking around on the YT site. Under my YT username, among the settings was "Restore classic YouTube".

Chose that - and the Chromecast icon re-appeared on all the YT video windows. Good grief - I sure don't remember YT notifying us of a change.

Onward through the fog.
Tom M.

Sometimes when my iMac OS updates things change and it can be frustrating having to re-learn. Onward through the fog indeed.