PDA

View Full Version : Any stamp collectors here?

NutmegCT
08-08-2016, 11:47 AM
In going through "things in the attic", I find I have hundreds of US and foreign postage stamps, issued (and many cancelled) prior to WW1. My dad was a collector when he was a teen back in the 1920s.

Also hundreds of US Internal Revenue stamps of various denominations, printed between 1865 and 1900.

These are loose - not indexed or in albums. Some pasted onto small cardboard squares.

How the heck do I figure out if there's any cash value to these?

(I can guarantee that if I took them to a local collector, he'd say "there's no value at all, but I'll give you $10 to take them off your hands.)

Thanks.
Tom M.

Basil
08-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Maybe contact these folks: https://stamps.org/Home

NutmegCT
08-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Thank you!

T.

George_H
08-08-2016, 05:44 PM
I have my father-in-laws stamp collection. It is a very difficult task. The vast majority of today's stamp collectors only want unused, not "hinged", mint stamps. Unless its very rare, most stamps have little value. I have been going though his stamps off and on for a year.....Its very frustrating to say the least. I have found that some revenue stamps can have value and very early(1850-1860) and higher denomination stamps tend to be worth more. Good luck. If you need more stamps just let me know. George

NutmegCT
08-08-2016, 05:47 PM
George - thanks for the info. You're the first person I've run into who's dealt with this.

Tom M.

George_H
08-08-2016, 05:57 PM
If you only have hundreds, consider yourself lucky. I'm sure I have at least 10,000. And I did have 15000 postcards! and I no longer speak of coins.

HealeyRick
08-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the post, Tom. I've got a similar collection I've tried to figure out what to do with. Seems like every kid a stamp collection when we were young, but I bet more kids are collecting Pokemon than stamps today.

JPSmit
08-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the post, Tom. I've got a similar collection I've tried to figure out what to do with. Seems like every kid a stamp collection when we were young, but I bet more kids are collecting Pokemon than stamps today.

I suspect more kids know what a Pokeman is used for than know what to do with a stamp anymore. For most kids today collecting stamps would be like collecting phone books or 8 track tapes.

Darwin
08-09-2016, 06:17 PM
I've been collecting for 30 years. Most US stuff is of small value. Complete sets can have value if the have the high face value stamps included. If you can find a local stamp club I'm sure you can get some honest advice. I have boxes of stamps I haven't even looked at yet. Must have close 500,000 stamps. Started as a way to stay sober and slowly lost interest.

JPSmit
08-09-2016, 11:22 PM
I've been collecting for 30 years. Most US stuff is of small value. Complete sets can have value if the have the high face value stamps included. If you can find a local stamp club I'm sure you can get some honest advice. I have boxes of stamps I haven't even looked at yet. Must have close 500,000 stamps. Started as a way to stay sober and slowly lost interest.

OK, I'll bite - lost interest in what? stamps or staying sober? :p :grin:

Darwin
08-09-2016, 11:25 PM
Stamps. Been sober for 28+ years now. Now I have another addiction called a Spitfire that keeps me broke and out of the bars.

JPSmit
08-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Stamps. Been sober for 28+ years now. Now I have another addiction called a Spitfire that keeps me broke and out of the bars.

I knew that :grin: and we done! except of course for the new addiction, not much we can do to support you in ending that I fear :rolleyes:

Basil
08-10-2016, 11:14 AM
I knew that :grin: and we done! except of course for the new addiction, not much we can do to support you in ending that I fear :rolleyes:

He can join LBCA (Little British Cars Anonymous) :angel2:

Darwin
08-10-2016, 11:46 AM
But I have all these co-dependent and co-enabling forum members who keep feeding my need for LBC information. I fear that with friends like these I will never kick the habit. Thank Goodness for a place like this where I can feel save in my depravity.

Basil
08-10-2016, 12:35 PM
But I have all these co-dependent and co-enabling forum members who keep feeding my need for LBC information. I fear that with friends like these I will never kick the habit. Thank Goodness for a place like this where I can feel save in my depravity.

We do what we can :fox: