PDA

View Full Version : TR5/TR250 Oil leak at front of TR250 motor

gjh2007
07-10-2005, 09:00 AM
I have had an fairly bad oil leak from the front of my TR250 motor since I purchased it. I drips down onto the front cross member. Sounds like poss a from oil seal? How much work to do seal/gaskets, etc. I need to do the rack bushings anyway, so removing the rad is prob in the picture anyway.

I also have oil running down the carb side of the block just below the head & block. It doesn't appear to be from the VC gasket.

Any thoughts, ideas?

p.s I am not running a Gulp (PCV) valve, it is by passed running into the back of the air filter cannister.

Could it be pressure build up?

On my orig TR250 I the hose from the VC running down below the chassis & it would be sucked out as you drove.

Andy Blackley
07-10-2005, 04:23 PM
You really need that PCV valve. It is not a "gulp valve" per se and does not rob the engine of any HP. It should not be disconnected. Just connecting the vent line from the valve cover to the air cleaner box is not sufficient. For crankcase ventilation you need manifold vacuum. If you have the valve body removed I would reintall it using a new diaphram, which is cheap. Or buy a new valve from Moss or TRF. IMHO the Smiths "mushroom" PCV valve is one of the best Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems used on British cars. I prefer it to the later direct venting into the Strombergs, which BTW cannot be done on the TR250 carbs. With PCV restored the oil leaks should cease (almost). My TR250 has been very good in the oil leak/oil consumption department, even with 77K+ miles.

RobT
07-11-2005, 10:54 AM
https://imaconstruction.com/sealingblock.htm

A replacement for the alloy piece at the lower front of the block/timing chain cover. Every Triumph I have owned leaked from there. I purchased one of these for my TR250, but have yet to install it. Till then I still have Triumph's unique "automatic self-basting chassis rust-proofing".

Rob.

gjh2007
07-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks Andy, I think I have the old valve body in a box of parts from the PO, Think I'll re-install & hopefully didn't permanently blow any seals/gaskets.

I'll keep you all posted.

gjh2007
08-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Re-installed the PCV valve & assorted hoses, took her out for a nice long warm up & no leaks!

Much easier fix than pulling motor sub assemblies apart.