PDA

View Full Version : Linux advice please

Bayless
07-23-2016, 09:28 AM
I think it's time to install Linux on my Windows PC. I have plenty of horse power and disk space. I will have to dual boot at least for a while. I have been a programmer all my life but never specialized in OS. I did convert my employer, a large law firm, from proprietary to Unix but that was several years ago. OMG, as I think about it that was 20 years ago. I have since been using Windows.

Now my question. What flavor of Linux do those of you with experience think would be the best version for me to start with? I got a book from the library a few days ago and I am remembering a lot of the little points from Unix. I guess I felt pretty confident with the OS but just not a lot of experience with the utilities.

Thanks for any advice.

PAUL161
07-23-2016, 12:49 PM
To me it would depend on what you wanted to do with it. I have Ubuntu 15 in one, duel boot with W-10 on the other partition. One gig hard drive with plenty of space for me. I like Linux Mint better, as Ubuntu is a little too much push button for me and looks graphically, more like it was designed for kids. I think Centos-7 is designed for a little more professional use, but comes highly recommended. Tough to get working right for me, not being a computer guru. PJ

Bayless
07-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks Paul. I have W-10 with plenty of disk and wife has W-7 that will not run W-10 but now having problems with 7. She also has a W-10 laptop upgraded from 8.1. I would like to start with dual boot on mine. Main needs for both really are browser, email, photo storage and word processing. I still like to keep writing new software but have settled on Java exclusively. I just read a comparison between Ubuntu and Mint which seemed to slightly favor Mint.

Did you have any problems installing Ubuntu to dual boot with W-10? And have you installed Mint in a dual boot situation? So far, I'm thinking one of those two but really have to dual boot at least for a while.

Darwin
07-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Linux Mint 17.3 has worked flawlessly for me in dual boot and as a stand-alone. Easy instructions at the Linux mint website for either dual boot or standalone.

Bayless
07-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the update Dar. I think I'm leaning toward Mint anyway.

Bayless
07-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Update - Got it done. Thanks for the advice guys.