PDA

View Full Version : Another thing I hate about Windows

Basil
07-18-2016, 07:03 PM
I have a 27 iMac running El Capitan OS and also running Win 7 via BootCamp / Parallels. I rarely need to go to Windows, but sometimes I need to do something on the windows side so I will shut down the iMac and re-boot into Windows (Holding Option Key while starting up allows be to choose which OS I want.). When I'm done and want to go back to the Mac OS, I shut down Windows, but invariably I get a message that Windows is installing a boatload of updates. It doesn't ask me if I want to install them, or even what they are, it just says don't shut your computer off. Installing 1 of 105 updates...Arggg!

TOC
07-18-2016, 09:07 PM
I can tell you how to kill them, and still be able to re-enable should your frontal lobotomy not work. (joke).
Control Panel.
Administrative tools.
Computer Management.
Services and Applications.
Services.
Automatic Updates.
Double click.
General tab, select "disabled" under startup type.
Then select "log on" tab.
Window at the bottom titled "You can enable or disable this service for the hardware profiles listed below"
Click Profile 1, and click "disable" window at the bottom.

My XP machines have been this was for at least nine years, that's YEARS, my 8 machine has been that way since I got it, what, 2-1/2 years ago?
8 and newer are slightly different, but you can do it.

The updater cannot find the service any longer, and your log files will read something like "attempting to update"..."Failed"...."fatal".
Which just makes me smile.

Dave

NutmegCT
07-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Probably a gazillion updates needed, because Windows hadn't run in quite a while!

Otherwise, watch out for this:

https://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/error-lookup.jpg

Finger probably wasn't positioned correctly.

:banana: