PDA

View Full Version : Stick a Fork in it....

AN5Sprite
07-11-2016, 11:51 PM
The BCF is dead. Mercy kill this place... Please Basil. The final gasp was when Kellysguy was "released" or whatever you call it. Posts are infrequent in every forum, no real knowledge is being exchanged.... It's too depressing to continue like this. :flush:

TOC
07-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Ah. Really.
The only issue I ever had was trying to help sort a problem....I've done this for decades...logical step by step....do it and tell me what happened...and they do all sorts of other stuff.
So I go and bang my head against the wall.

Most forums seem to be really low on participation now....cars and others..just an observation.

What, you didn't like someone driving around with a flat crank?

Joke, son, just a joke!

sail
07-12-2016, 06:38 AM
Huh? I see several new posters in Triumph despite the fact that it's summer and everyone is outside.

NutmegCT
07-12-2016, 06:46 AM
BCF Doesn't seem dead to me at all, altho' Pub posts often seem pretty silly to many of us.

But ... Most folks I talk to - and I talk with 100s every day at work - don't use "forums" any longer. They've moved to things like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat. Seems there's more interest in "fun" than in actually doing or learning something.

Tom M.

PAUL161
07-12-2016, 07:20 AM
Huh? I see several new posters in Triumph despite the fact that it's summer and everyone is outside.

Easily explained, Triumphs break down much more than MGs! https://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/PJ161/Icons/thhide_zpsf7cb00f9.gif (https://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/PJ161/Icons/?action=view&current=thhide_zpsf7cb00f9.gif) :devilgrin:.

sail
07-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Easily explained, Triumphs break down much more than MGs! https://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/PJ161/Icons/thhide_zpsf7cb00f9.gif (https://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/PJ161/Icons/?action=view&current=thhide_zpsf7cb00f9.gif) :devilgrin:.
And I was going to suggest you Bugeye and MG owners ought to upgrade.

Mickey Richaud
07-12-2016, 09:31 AM
The BCF is dead. Mercy kill this place... Please Basil. The final gasp was when Kellysguy was "released" or whatever you call it. Posts are infrequent in every forum, no real knowledge is being exchanged.... It's too depressing to continue like this. :flush:

Sorry, but I have to respond:

First of all, Billy requested to leave the BCF; Basil has posted to that effect before. Your post suggests otherwise, and also suggests a correlation to your perception that "The BCF is dead."

Second, as stated above, the TR forum is very active, as are the Healey and Spridget forums. The MG side has never had that much activity, probably because of the huge number of folks that post on the MG Experience. I check in over there, and, yes, there is a lot of activity there, but there's also a lot of friction, which turns a number of folks off.

And to say that no real knowledge is being exchanged here is pretty harsh.

It's long been the feeling of some folks that Basil's guidelines seem out of step with culture. OK, fine. No one says you have to stay here. And if it's so "depressing", why are you still here? It's just like TV: there's an on/off switch.

3798j
07-12-2016, 10:43 AM
...no real knowledge is being exchanged....
https://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/3798j/Forum/remiq-net_8770_zps054de964.jpg (https://s490.photobucket.com/user/3798j/media/Forum/remiq-net_8770_zps054de964.jpg.html)

Basil
07-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Steve I am very sorry you felt it necessary to publicly make such a negative and frankly hurtful comment. Since you did feel it necessary to express your feelings publicly, I will reply publicly. This forum has been a resource that I have provided at no charge (subscriptions are optional) for over 15 years to British car enthusiasts. While activity may be slower than times past, and I know I can't compete with the Billionaire Zuckerberg, BCF is still an important repository of helpful and historical information related to little British cars. I get emails to that effect all the time from folks grateful that this forum exists. If I do pull the plug as you seem to suggest I should, then ALL of that information will be gone forever. I'm not ready to do that yet, but if enough people tell me that BCF has outlived its usefulness, then maybe I will. Nothing lasts forever, but is that really what people want?

I get the sense that you have had a burr under your saddle for some time about, not just about BCF but me personally. I don't know what I've done to warrant such treatment. Recall that you reached out to me not long ago about some personal issues (which I am NOT disclosing here) and I was there for you - even calling you on the phone and spending a good deal of time talking with you trying my best to help. How many forum admins do you know who would do that? You will also recall that I was concerned enough about your situation that I reached out to you personally months later via PM to see how things were going. As for the individual who was "released," for your information, that individual was not banned. He had been concerned about something going on in his life outside the forum (I won't reveal the details) and felt concerned enough that he wanted all traces of his account removed. I have no idea whether his concern was valid or not, but I complied with HIS REQUEST.

I know you had expressed frustration to me before about some of your posts being ignored and I can understand that frustration but I can't control what people do or don't respond to. I do my level best to spur activity here, but I can't force people to post nor what they do or don't reply to.

One last thing. I have not publicly said anything about this up till now (only my moderators know) but I recently lost my job after 18 years. The company we were sub-contractors to lost their recompete on the contract I had been supporting. As a result, several of us were laid off. Thus, I am now among the ranks of the unemployed at a time in my life when I'm likely too old to get rehired but too young to officially retire. As I mentioned, subscriptions at BCF are not required, but now that my cash flow has taken a huge hit, the little extra cash the forum brings in is really needed more than ever. (after I pay for the server and bandwidth, the amount I net doesn't even come close to minimum wage, but it does help). This is another reason I'm not ready to toss in the towel yet and why such negative public comments about BCF are very troubling as they can affect what is already a meager bottom line.

I am sorry you feel so negatively about BCF and I wish I had some magic answer to makes things right for you, but I don't. All I can do is provide this forum for those who wish to use it. If the time comes (and it will someday) that BCF is no longer seen as a useful resource for folks, or I can no longer afford to keep it online, I will shut it down. Until then, if folks have recommendations for improving the site, I am always willing to listen, but comments like yours I find very hurtful and not helpful, though you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Peace,
Basil

Roger
07-12-2016, 11:15 AM
I freely admit to being much more of a reader than writer, and my cars aren't mentioned much here, but I get a lot of enjoyment from this forum. Keep it up Basil, and sorry about your job.

Boink
07-12-2016, 11:18 AM
It's a terrific resource. Just look a the number of people viewing a given forum at nearly any time. As posted, many people are just readers only.

mikephillips
07-12-2016, 12:47 PM
I also find it a useful resource, perhaps not as much for specific knowledge of my personal four wheeled preferences, but as a chance to listen in and remark on a host of topics relative to both cars and my age group. I work around a bunch of 20 to 30 somethings and well, they just don't relate to when I grew up nor I that much to their life experiences. After all, I'm their parent's, and sometimes nearly grandparents age.

PAUL161
07-12-2016, 12:58 PM
I've been a member of this forum for a while now, I think since 2005 and have enjoyed it very much. Basil has done a wonderful job of keeping a family type atmosphere on this site and I'm sure with his stewardship it'll remain that way. Not everyone agrees on everything, that's human nature, but disagreements can be done in a friendly manor where no one is offended, hopefully! I've only been around for 78 years, but in that short time, I've found out that sometimes it's better to keep silent if a chance of hurting someones feelings is in the making, I instilled that in my boys when growing up and fortunately it stuck. There's always folks out there that want to cause a disturbance, I guess they have nothing constructive or better to do, I personally avoid that type and do not get into conversations with such. So this is just my opinion, you take it or leave it. Now I think I'll go have a sandwich and a cold Miller. :encouragement: PJ

AngliaGT
07-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Sorry to hear of your job loss.I'm not in a great financial position right now,
but whenever I sell anything through the BCF,I make it a point to donate a percentage of
the sale.
There are times that I need to take a break from the forum,& I'm sure that
there's a lot of you who'd agree with that,but it's always comforting to know that it's still
here,when I come back.

Basil
07-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear of your job loss.I'm not in a great financial position right now,
but whenever I sell anything through the BCF,I make it a point to donate a percentage of
the sale.
There are times that I need to take a break from the forum,& I'm sure that
there's a lot of you who'd agree with that,but it's always comforting to know that it's still
here,when I come back.

I very much appreciate your support. Even I have to take leave of the place once in a while.

Boink
07-12-2016, 03:25 PM
As I come into BCF right now, it reports 626 people (mostly non-members) on-line! Doesn't seem "done" to me. :)

SaxMan
07-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Without BCF, I'd be so far up the creek without a paddle on my '69 Sprite they'd have to send SAR crews to find me. I was almost embarrassed about how many questions I put on the Spridget forum, but every single one of them was answered kindly and timely. I can safely say that my car has spent more time on the road and less time laid up because of BCF. Thank you Basil for all that you do here.

65_BRG_Sprite
07-12-2016, 06:25 PM
I guess posts like that is the reason I don't make the club scene- lots of good folks and one or two I don't want to be around- and life's just too short.
There is lots of experience and good info on here. If there is a post that doesn't interest me I move on. And nice to know I'm not alone on solving issues.
Basil: sorry to hear of your predicament. I faced a similar situation 18 months ago; decided to retire and hope for the best; funds are very tight. I am 99% finished on my project after many years. Unfortunately I've had 2 strokes in the last 2 months and unsure if I'll get to enjoy the finished product. The one on 3 July has kicked my rear fascia and not sure how much will come back to me. Could have been a whole lot worse though!
Even if I have to sell my car I'll be looking into your great site every day. Hang in there, dude!

Basil
07-12-2016, 07:05 PM
I guess posts like that is the reason I don't make the club scene- lots of good folks and one or two I don't want to be around- and life's just too short.
There is lots of experience and good info on here. If there is a post that doesn't interest me I move on. And nice to know I'm not alone on solving issues.
Basil: sorry to hear of your predicament. I faced a similar situation 18 months ago; decided to retire and hope for the best; funds are very tight. I am 99% finished on my project after many years. Unfortunately I've had 2 strokes in the last 2 months and unsure if I'll get to enjoy the finished product. The one on 3 July has kicked my rear fascia and not sure how much will come back to me. Could have been a whole lot worse though!
Even if I have to sell my car I'll be looking into your great site every day. Hang in there, dude!

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Considering my age I am probably going to just hang on till 62 and then call it a retirement.

John Turney
07-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your employment situation Boss. I was laid off a few years ago and went into part-time consulting. You might think about it.

As for the BCF, it has been a valuable resource for those of us on the Austin Healey group, and I often stop by the Pub and Humor forums. I enjoy it immensely, and you've done a wonderful job. Unless I'm away from a computer, I'm on every day. There is no other forum that holds a candle to BCF.

sail
07-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Basil, good luck with the transition and challenges that go with it. 6 years ago I was let go, fired, downsized, laid off at 58. No good way to put it, stole my mojo and dashed some dreams. Got my mojo back and made new dreams. Time is precious, I hope it works to your advantage.

BCF has enabled me keep my TR running for 10 years without feeling all alone. Thanks for that.

catfood
07-13-2016, 07:27 AM
Basil, sorry to hear of your circumstances. If you have a marketable skillset then going freelance (as John suggested) can be a good way of propping up the coffers. I tried it after being made redundant many years ago a carried on freelance for twelve (profitable) years. Only the wish for more stability brought me back to a 'proper' job.

As for the forum (and life in general) a live and let live approach is a lot less stressful than complaining about things. If you're not happy you don't have to participate - use the 'off' button. I've found the BCF invaluble in giving me the confidence to try jobs on my Healey I wouldn't have dreamed of doing without having researched it here first (and knowing I have the backup of a lot of friendly and very experienced fellow enthusiasts to help me out if I get it wrong).

So Basil you should be proud of what you have achieved fot the British car community online. Just ignore the naysayers!

Popeye
07-13-2016, 09:52 AM
All,

I can't say much more beyond what has been said, but would like to throw in my two cents:

This forum is phenomenal. Great advice. Immense data on getting and then keeping our cars on the road. Very searchable via Google. No ads. No jerks.

Thank you Basil.

To the original poster, I quote Ricky Ricardo and Bart: "ĦAy, caramba!"

On the other hand, most of us like to eat good food. Arguably "stick a fork in it" is a compliment! :highly_amused:

Boink
07-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Just ignore the naysayers!

Ditto.

NutmegCT
07-13-2016, 09:57 AM
With over 10,000 BCF members - you can count the naysayers on one hand!

Basil
07-13-2016, 10:17 AM
With over 10,000 BCF members - you can count the naysayers on one hand!

18,753 but whose counting?

Bayless
07-13-2016, 11:45 AM
I thought I had replied earlier but I guess not. Just wanted to let everyone know that BCF is my favorite place on the web. Visiting here is the second thing I do every day, right after checking my email. I find a wealth of knowledge here as well as many friends. No more BCF would be a great loss for many of us I am certain.

Also, I'm really sorry to hear of you new situation Basil. I hope and am confident something good will turn up soon. I do understand your concern of being too old to be employable but too young to retire, having been there myself a few years ago for similar reasons. My employer decided to get out of the software development business and concentrate on just hardware so no longer need for my services.

Basil
07-13-2016, 12:06 PM
I thought I had replied earlier but I guess not. Just wanted to let everyone know that BCF is my favorite place on the web. Visiting here is the second thing I do every day, right after checking my email. I find a wealth of knowledge here as well as many friends. No more BCF would be a great loss for many of us I am certain.

Also, I'm really sorry to hear of you new situation Basil. I hope and am confident something good will turn up soon. I do understand your concern of being too old to be employable but too young to retire, having been there myself a few years ago for similar reasons. My employer decided to get out of the software development business and concentrate on just hardware so no longer need for my services.

Thanks, it's nice to hear the folks still find BCF useful even if we aren't the most active forum on the internet. I turn 62 next month and am probably going to just apply for SS and call it a day.

pdplot
07-13-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm 82 and still employed - by myself. I'm too stupid to quit even though dealing with lenders has gotten to be a nightmare. My son (and his wife) were both unemployed for a year but both were ultimately hired by other companies and spent 10 years in Asia before returning to USA in May. Don't do anything too quickly. Start drawing unemployment compensation and that will tide you over for a while. My wife was let go in January and has been drawing UC since then but it has run out now. She's 75. I don't know what you did but use your skill and brains to come up with something you can use in that or a related field. Age is just a number. Good luck. PS - this forum is great! it saved my a%% more than once.

Basil
07-13-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm 82 and still employed - by myself. I'm too stupid to quit even though dealing with lenders has gotten to be a nightmare. My son (and his wife) were both unemployed for a year but both were ultimately hired by other companies and spent 10 years in Asia before returning to USA in May. Don't do anything too quickly. Start drawing unemployment compensation and that will tide you over for a while. My wife was let go in January and has been drawing UC since then but it has run out now. She's 75. I don't know what you did but use your skill and brains to come up with something you can use in that or a related field. Age is just a number. Good luck. PS - this forum is great! it saved my a%% more than once.

Well I do have my "business" of the forum and hosting some web sites. Now that I will have more time on my hands, I hope to grow the web hosting side of things - who knows where it may lead. I am doing UC for now also (which I hate).

NutmegCT
07-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Basil - just a thought. If you need the Social Security at 62, you can apply three months before. Then if you don't need it because you have work income, etc. you can put it back in "suspense", and it will be recomputed (and increased) at full retirement age (66, 67, etc.)

So don't think that taking it "early" will permanently reduce your monthly benefit by a percentage forever - unless you continue taking it monthly from 62 onwards. And of course, your wife is also eligible when she turns 62, either on her own SSA account, or on yours.

I was a SSA claims rep for several years.

Tom M.

3798j
07-13-2016, 02:12 PM
And while we're thinking and discussing....At age 62 (and up to age 66), if you earn more than $15,720 (in 2016), Social Security will deduct $1 from your benefits for each $2 you earn over the threshold.

NutmegCT
07-13-2016, 02:14 PM
And while we're thinking and discussing....At age 62, if you earn more than $15,720 (in 2016), Social Security will deduct $1 from your benefits for each $2 you earn over the threshold.

Yup - so you're always ahead by working - even part time. It's the annual re-computation of the monthly benefit that helps.

Basil
07-13-2016, 02:56 PM
And while we're thinking and discussing....At age 62 (and up to age 66), if you earn more than $15,720 (in 2016), Social Security will deduct $1 from your benefits for each $2 you earn over the threshold.

Fortunately my military retirement doesn't count against me in that calculation and I could theoretically earn up to additional 15k working part time (Wonder if Auto Zone is hiring?)

pdplot
07-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Don't laugh. Auto Zone could use someone with your brains, even part-time. You should see some of the dopes working there around here. And think of the fringe benefits - coils, condensers, points - all that good stuff...

Basil
07-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Don't laugh. Auto Zone could use someone with your brains, even part-time. You should see some of the dopes working there around here. And think of the fringe benefits - coils, condensers, points - all that good stuff...

I'm not laughing. I would not mind doing something like AutoZone Part Time - and its walking distance from my house!

Keoke
07-13-2016, 03:57 PM
ALL this talk about SS don't forget to select COLA when you do take it. Under the old system Guys that keep working after retirement age SS appreciates @ 8% a year cola can be as low as "0"--:smile-new: