PDA

View Full Version : July 4 - 1908

NutmegCT
07-04-2016, 08:49 AM
A photo of the Canadian/American Aerial Experiment Association's Aerodrome #3 ("June Bug") in flight at Hammondsport NY, July 4, 1908. Glenn Curtiss, designer and pilot.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Curtiss_june_bug.jpg/300px-Curtiss_june_bug.jpg

This successful flight met the requirements for the Scientific American Cup:

- distance one kilometer

- in view of the public

- starting and ending on wheels

- no catapult launch (the Wrights did not participate)

The $25,000 prize was awarded.

I believe (but not sure) that the name June Bug was given due to the shape and curve of the wings, and the color of the wings. The original clear varnish used was subject to melting in the summer heat, so the aircraft's wing fabric was covered with a mixture of turpentine, paraffin, and gasoline, and tinted with yellow ochre. The yellow color showed better in photographs.

The Wrights felt their "control system" had been used without permission. However, Aerodrome #3 used ailerons, not wing warp.

Much discussion ensued.

Happy Independence Day all!
Tom M.

PAUL161
07-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Tom, I'm not getting a picture to display. ?? PJ

NutmegCT
07-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Here ya go:

Tiger
07-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Interesting; today I start reading my next book out of the stack, it's about Glenn Curtiss and his involvement with Navy seaplanes. Wheels might not be involved -- I'll let ya know.

PAUL161
07-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Slightly off topic, but not too far, My son once when he was in England, for my birthday, bought me a painting of this aircraft. Supermarine S6 trophy winner in 1929. Notice the pitch on the propeller, it takes a lot of horse power to turn with that much pitch. The painting, 36 X 24 shows the aircraft in flight during the race in color and is quite impressive and cherished as he is not with us anymore. Sorry I don't have a photo of the painting. PJ