PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR7 strange sound

johnrip
07-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I have a friend who has a 1980 FI TR7, and when he drives it, it makes a weird sound. The best way to describe the sound would be that it sounds like a kids play ray gun. "Phew...Phew" Loud enough that people were looking at us frightened. The car does have some transmission issues, grinding badly in fourth, and a very loud reverse. He asked me for my opinion, and I think it is a transmission problem. The car does not react to the sound, it does not bog down or buck. Could this be a universal, or AC commpressor, or driveshaft? I know this is a stre /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.giftch, but any ideas?

Radford
07-05-2005, 07:43 PM
No real experience here, but it could have to do with pressure in the A/C system.

ObiRichKanobi
07-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Is it kind of like a "whistling" sound, and happens around 2200-2600 RPM? If so, it's probably a benign sound from a rebuilt Lucas ACR25 alternator. I know 3 TR7s that have this sound, but none are really loud enough to draw attention.

mailbox
07-05-2005, 10:24 PM
How does that sound again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

vettedog72
07-05-2005, 11:58 PM
May be it smells the lingeringsof a Ferrari? Hope you don't mind some humor. A wild guess is there is some kind of vacuume leak.

Paul Johnson
07-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Start with possibility elimination. For example, does the noise appear only when engine is cold, or only warm? With the a/c on or off or either? In any gear, or only some?
When it appears, can you very slightly decrease or increase throttle pressure and make it change? Does it last only for one or two "phews", or is it continuous?
Try various combinations to make it come or disappear, and I'll bet you get right to it. But in the meantime, I'm betting that you're talking about the compressor clutch slipping at engagement. To test this, on a hot day, and at speed, try turning the a/c on and off. If I'm right, you'll hear your noise every time it cycles on.
Good luck, and be sure to let us know what you find eventually.

philman
07-06-2005, 05:09 PM
maybe some stones or loose bolts rattling around near the flywheel inside the bellhousing? my wifes mustang made a funny noise that turned out to be the disintegration of some bearings in the starter motor that found their way into the bell housing. starter failed soon after the noise that's how i found the bearings.

johnrip
07-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I think I have found it...it seems to be comming from the fan clutch! I will find out soon. Thanks to everyone.