PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Wiring Harness

71tr
07-04-2005, 05:52 PM
During my rebuild I'm thinking of simply replacing the entire wiring harness in my six now that its stripped bare. Has anyone out there done this? What vendor carries the best harness? Are their any pitfalls?

LastDeadLast
07-04-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't know how original you want to keep the car, but I would give these guys a hard look. Their product pretty much fixes all the problems with the TR wiring.

https://www.advanceautowire.com/

71tr
07-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks Shannon,

I've seen this product before. It seems like a good choice but one drawback is the size of the relay box. Maybe I could hide it away in the boot like the ricers do with their stereo equipment. The link below shows actual cutomer experience.
https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Dans%20Wiring%20Harness.htm

Keoke
07-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Try British Wiring Inc. They have the broadest experience with the various car harnesses and offer a variety of styles the most expensive of which is usually concours.--Fwiw---Keoke

LastDeadLast
07-04-2005, 07:45 PM
71tr,

I've seen his web page and honestly I didn't like mounting the relay box under the hood. I found a pic of the relay mounted UNDER the battery box (I'm attaching the pic). I personally think this would be the way to go.

I wouldn't even consider Advance unless the product could me made to look a little close to stock.

danmas
07-05-2005, 02:41 AM
There are two schools of thought on mounting the relay panel. One school says that if you spend that much time installing it, and it's such an improvement over stock, you want to mount it where everyone can see it. The other school says hide it to keep the car as stock looking as you can.

For the later school, we recommend turning the panel upside down and mounting it in the same location as on the above mentioned web site, but hang it underneath the shelf. It's easy to get to there if you ever have to change a fuse or a relay, but it's out of site unless you are looking for it.

We've sold about 40 of these kits, and every one so far has been well pleased with them. I know of three cars with these kits that have been on the road for over four years with absolutely no problems.

However, if you wish to keep the car stock with a replacement harness, I highly recommend British Wiring ( https://www.britishwiring.com ). They sell a good product and they are great people to work with.

Dan Masters (Chief engineer for Advance Auto Wire)

Mark_Gibson
07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
I went old school and replaced both wiring harnesses with stock components as part of my rebuild. I purchased both from TRF and the installation wasn't too difficult. For once, everything electrical works as it should!! Drop me a note if you decide to go that route and have any questions,

Mark
1970 TR-6

Geo Hahn
07-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I replaced the harness on the '3 when it was stripped bare (I realize a much easier task than a TR6) and consider it one of the nicest presents I've ever given myself. Every connection reliable, every wire color meaningful, very un-British perhaps but a joy to drive & work on.

I hate to see (apparently) fine TRs on eBay with wiring looms that are in sad shape with lots of electrical tape hiding goodness knows what patches. Whether you go stock or upgrade with Dan's kit the result should give you improved reliability and tell the world that this is a well-maintained car.