PDA

View Full Version : Need more power?

vettedog72
07-03-2005, 09:28 AM
https://www.icarusbungee.com/triumph/triumph.htm

Pretty good documentation.

trboost
07-03-2005, 11:18 AM
The ground work looks pretty good. It doesn't show what he's using as a final drive, I sure hope it's not the TR rear. Judging from the finned brake drum I think it is.
I'm a big fan of this conversion when done well. If it's done only to go in a straight line your only using half of the cars potential. If the right engine & driveline are mated to an improved suspension , brake & wheel package, then you have a real world class screamer.

sammyb
07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Considering the amount of body flex with a standard 104hp engine, I can only imagine the bellydance the chassis does with a V8 in there!

waltesefalcon
07-03-2005, 12:14 PM
The guy does pretty nice work. I would be a little worried about the rear end and the body flex if I was building one. I wonder how a stubbed corvette rear would fit under a TR6?

William Mapstone
07-03-2005, 01:32 PM
For a car that size, I would of looked for a modern aluminum block 4 cyl or 6 cyl engine, which could easily put out 200 to 300 hp depending on your needs. The engine would be much lighter so as not to screw up the weight distribution, but thats just me.

vettedog72
07-03-2005, 03:32 PM
No no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif Nothing good to say about the corvette C3 rear end/ suspension. I think the Corvette C3 developers were on LSD when they passed the production on the suspension of that particular series. Obviously the C5's are a great improvement. I guess that is a little harsh, but the pains of that contraption just linger and will not go away. Maybe the Jag would be a better choice after all it is British.

danmas
07-03-2005, 03:47 PM
The ideal engine for this car is the Ford 302 with aluminum heads. 300 - 375 HP and weighs LESS then the stock engine.

mrv8q
07-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Hmmmm, I'd hate to change the spark plugs in this setup!

Alan_Myers
07-03-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The ideal engine for this car is the Ford 302 with aluminum heads. 300 - 375 HP and weighs LESS then the stock engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Dan,

You should know!

Cheers,

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
CT17602L

Webb Sledge
07-05-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the Corvette C3 developers were on LSD when they passed the production on the suspension of that particular series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pun intended? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif (i'm sure you know: LSD=limited slip diff)

My bad, that was a really bad joke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

jeff3113
07-08-2005, 06:35 AM
...and the answer was a resounding YES!!
Good points made by all. Great pics - and glad to see he's been at it. I used several of those pics to answer some of my questions. The sbc I put in my LBC did weigh it down considerably. I haven't taken it into a scale yet to determine the distribution, but I know it has more in the front than it used to...!
I would highly recommend reinforcing the frame if adding serious ponies-of any 200+Hp configuration. For me, I added about 30 feet of 3/16 x 2 inch steel across the entire bottom of the frame. I did the sides closer to the front. I figured it was easier than trying to straighten it out later. I chose to do most of this type of work before removing the original engine weight so as to not throw off frame alignment/doors!
Also, the Corvette LSD rear end idea was cost prohibitive for me. I did have a budget(not according to my wife).
The BMW LSD has held up well. I will be returning to have the flanges on each half shaft drilled for some solid pins to the 4-6 bolt adapter plates. Four grade 8 bolts just don't seem strong enough.

Just finshed putting in LED bulbs around the side markers and tailights. No more bulb replacements there!

Last week was the install of 215's all around. What a difference that made to the ride.

This may be one of those never-ending stories(did I hear the word budget again?!?)

Next stop is a surrey top...

keep it on 2 wheels!
Jeff3113