PDA

View Full Version : CentOS 7 Up & Running

PAUL161
03-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Finally got CentOS 7 up and running with a Gnome desktop. Found out the disc I downloaded was bad, had a fragmented file, leaving the section where you need to designate the type of desktop you want. out. I'm on it now and all is well. Thanks for trying the impossibility of rejuvenating this old brain. I really didn't think I was that dumb, but one never knows, does one.:encouragement: PJ `

Steve
03-22-2016, 09:33 PM
I didn't understand a word you said... Except for "desktop". :concern:

GregW
03-22-2016, 09:51 PM
I didn't understand a word you said... Except for "desktop". :concern:
I did and it is a happy day for penguins.

DrEntropy
03-23-2016, 06:15 AM
YAY!!! It ~had~ to be something 'silly'!

Let the fun begin!

PAUL161
03-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Yes, it was something silly, but very frustrating to say the least. I'm on the laptop with windows on it now, as the desktop is downloading a ton of updates, over 700, so it will be out of service for a while.
Question, Once completely set up, can I back up the HD with a desktop HD, even though the back up drive will be smaller? PJ

Basil
03-23-2016, 08:55 AM
My server where this forum runs is running CentOS.

DrEntropy
03-23-2016, 12:00 PM
The only other reason I can think of is that when the system loaded, there was a glitch in the data either on original media or during the install.

Sending a PM, Paul.

My server where this forum runs is running CentOS.

CEntOS is the 'unsupported' version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Powerful server OS, and Apache is the Sierra Hotel web server of choice. The majority of 'netweb/mail servers across the planet are running on Linux/Apache engines. :thumbsup:

PAUL161
03-23-2016, 01:43 PM
For some reason centos doesn't want to except my photos loaded on an external HD that were copied from a windows environment, Ubuntu and mint excepts them with no changes. Another stumbling block to overcome. PJ

GregW
03-23-2016, 02:54 PM
My guess on the photo issue is permissions. You may need to change what user can copy files on the Windows ext. drive.

DrEntropy
03-23-2016, 04:08 PM
I suggest transferring the photos to a thumb drive and seeing if they are then 'readable' in CEntOS. I've seen some issues with external drives formatted for Winblows (NTFS) being rejected by Linux.

PAUL161
03-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Doc PM sent but the box is full, SO, I reformatted an old drive from NTFS into a FAT drive and it is not recognized either. Is there a way I can make these old drives I have look like a thumb drive? I tried a thumb drive and it is recognized. The old drives are used as external drives just for storage. PJ

DrEntropy
03-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Neither FAT nor NTFS are going to be seen as legit formats. Linux uses ext3 and/or ext4 formats, Linux sees EVERYTHING as a file. Once a drive is formatted as a "foreign" filesystem it can't be read. When you put the pix on a thumb drive the files are (or should be) all that's there. Linux sees the thumb drive as part of its own filesystem.

BTW: Here's a layout I use to transfer "stuff" so as to locate it easily on Linux. I create a "data" directory in the root and set up sub-directories to file the different things for easy retrieval.

PAUL161
03-24-2016, 09:50 AM
I will have to copy the needed files to a thumb drive and transfer into centos, as I know that works. I'm still going to try and figure out how to convert a HD into being readable as a Thumb drive. I think it's possible. PJ

DrEntropy
03-24-2016, 10:00 AM
As do I but the task is a PITA. Easiest to "sneaker 'net" the files. If you were to network the machines using SAMBA, it makes file transfer between machines a piece of cake. Your time could be better spent getting SAMBA up and running.

The screenshot here is with a couple of the network boxes now running, "MAX" is a WinXP machine and ALL the files on it are seen and can be ferreted across the 'net:

DrEntropy
03-24-2016, 10:06 AM
BTW: BADGERV is this Linux box, a few more machines are not booted up now, but one is Win7 with two others running Linux. All play well with one another on the LAN. You could plug your external drive into a Win machine, "share" it and copy the entire contents to the CEntOS machine.

EDIT: Cleared some swarf from the messages.

GregW
03-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Neither FAT nor NTFS are going to be seen as legit formats.
That's weird. I have an extra internal drive in my Fedora machine that is formatted NTFS. When I mount it, I'm asked for a password. Then I'm in.

DrEntropy
03-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Curious. You must have SAMBA running then. That's the only interface I know of to allow the two to inter-operate.

On boot, if you tap the "esc" key when the CEntOS loading splash screen comes up, you will see a list of what's loading. SAMBA loads as: "SMB" and "NMB".

EDIT: Just dawns on me... Fedora! Most likely SAMBA was part of the install with no need of opt-in from the installer. A "convenience" for the system to be inserted into a Windows environ. CEntOS is a bit more of a "beat it into submission" version. Much less 'automagic' than Fedora.

NutmegCT
03-25-2016, 07:23 AM
(Reading through this thread reminds me of why I stopped trying to learn Linux. It was fun when I started, but I kept finding things which to me should have been obvious, that involved adding things which required adding and configuring more things - which required posting questions on Linux forums, which were rarely answered other than by long lists of more questions from people with the same problems.)

eek

Funny - other than pretty GUIs, there's not much done on 'puters today that can't be done with DOS.

PS - nothing against Linux at all. But it sure requires patience to learn.

DrEntropy
03-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Maybe it's OCD but when I attempt something and it results in a less-than desired outcome, I keep at it until it works the way I think it should. Cars, cameras, computers, construction... hmmm...

...just now saw the "C"onnection! Must be why I'm still working at cooking... :smirk:

GregW
03-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Just don't go OCD with C-sections.

GregW
03-26-2016, 02:44 PM
BTW, I do have Samba, but it doesn't seem to be running all the time. Hitting the escape key only gives me a brief flash, then the login screen pops up. Looking at running resources doesn't show anything until I manually launch Samba. Always have access to NTFS drives though. Maybe the Samba install writes code to the kernel for full time compatibility?

Keoke
03-26-2016, 02:53 PM
I didn't understand a word you said... Except for "desktop". Me TOO!!:highly_amused:

PAUL161
03-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Funny, I can copy my photos to a thumb drive and CentOS picks them right up, but it still won't recognize an external HD, even formatted to a FAT drive. Oh well, sooner or later.

GregW
03-26-2016, 10:50 PM
To throw another curve ball, my computer can read and write to Apples HFS format. I think it will even format to Mac, it has the option, but I didn't have much luck in practice. Could have been the drive I was working with. It was an HP external with encryption built in.

DrEntropy
03-27-2016, 08:46 AM
I'm kinda sure the difference is that Fedora was meant to be put into a LAN environ as a ready-to-go workstation, the kernel will get the SAMBA module plugged in and made to run "on demand". Not so with CEntOS. That's what the "E" is all about. It is customizable (Fedora is, as well) but primarily installs as a server system to be modified as the environment dictates.