PDA

View Full Version : PSA (Dual meaning here)

Mickey Richaud
02-28-2016, 07:48 AM
As in "Public Service Announcement" and "Prostate Specific Antigen". Tomorrow (Monday) morning I'm having my prostate removed. After a slow rise over time of my PSA, the last biopsy found a couple of low-grade spots of cancer. Surprisingly, I'm not as concerned as I thought I'd be; just really ticked-off. Overnight stay at the hospital, barring any complications. Have to endure a catheter for a week or so, but otherwise the normal issues with "minimally invasive" surgery. This one will be robotic-assisted; pretty cool technology, actually.

Anyway, the Public Service Announcement part: Guys - take this stuff seriously. Thankfully mine was found in its early stage, and hopefully it'll be dealt and over with after this.

Gliderman8
02-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Speedy recovery Mickey! Glad you caught it early.

NutmegCT
02-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Mickey - best wishes to you! I went through the same thing back in 2011, so let me know if you have any "personal" questions.

It was regular PSA testing that caught my cancer in time.

Tom M.

donbmw
02-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Will thinking about you. Went the same route 7 years ago. Lois had a harder time with this than I had. As far a side effects I amy about 75% back to normal. Not bad compared to a couple of friends that I talked to.

Don

JPSmit
02-28-2016, 10:16 AM
In our prayers Mickey - and yeah - time to get tested!

Mickey Richaud
02-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks, Guys. I'm overall very positive about it. Just want it done, already!

Basil
02-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Will keep you in my prayers. Hopefully this will soon be "behind" you.

Bayless
02-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Sure glad to hear you caught it early.

Mickey Richaud
02-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Will keep you in my prayers. Hopefully this will soon be "behind" you.

Well, if so, the surgeon really will have messed up!

Basil
02-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Well, if so, the surgeon really will have messed up!

Oh...right.

weewillie
02-28-2016, 01:27 PM
glad they caught it early Mickey, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Have to do my colon cancer check and psa the week after next

coldplugs
02-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Best of luck. I hope all goes well & that your recovery is quick.

Joe Reed
02-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Hope you have a speedy recovery. Also hope the robot is programmed correctly!

Mickey Richaud
02-29-2016, 04:53 AM
Thanks again, everyone. Getting ready to head to the hospital.

Aren't enemas (enemae?) fun? :eeek:

Later.

Rhodyspit75
03-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Anyone know how Mickey is doing?

Mickey Richaud
03-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Went pretty well - very little pain. May go home later today; have to run some laps around the nurses' station first. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Mickey

pdplot
03-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Make sure your catheter is working and draining correctly. I was unaware that it got clogged up by a clot and I underwent 36 hours of agony before I went back into the ER to have it removed and reset. I thought that was natural. The hospital never warned me. Good luck and I hope your plumbing is restored after the cath comes out. Don't panic like I did if you have some trouble or see blood. It will all clear up in due time.

donbmw
03-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Glade everything went will.

Don

John Turney
03-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Glad it's going well!

LarryK
03-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Mark the spot with a magic marker, like they do for legs, arms and kidneys! 😁 Good luck!

Basil
03-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Glad it's going well!

Must be if he's chasing nurses around the nurses' station!

3798j
03-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Went pretty well - very little pain.
Mickey
Mickey, Wishing you a speedy return to normal. Get well quickly.

waltesefalcon
03-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Mickey, I wish you have a speedy recovery. Enjoy chasing those nurses.

Mickey Richaud
03-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks, everyone. Just got home, and really good to be here.

Catheter's working, but not sure it's placed correctly. Got some pain at entry point when I move around. Gonna adjust it later. Back to the doctor next Wednesday for follow-up and to remove the catheter.

DrEntropy
03-01-2016, 06:06 PM
"Beware the Foley"...

GAH! Be well, Bro!

PAUL161
03-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Take care Mickey, don't overdo it. Hope everything is in your favor :encouragement:. PJ

Bayless
03-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Glad it went smoothly. Wishing for a speedy recovery.

pdplot
03-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Mickey - make sure you have enough slack in the hose. I taped it to my leg so it would not pull at night. The whole experience was a major PITA and my worst fear come true. Make sure you drink plenty of water from now on. Cranberry juice may help too to avoid the usual UTI.

Basil
03-04-2016, 12:45 AM
Mickey - make sure you have enough slack in the hose.

I'm embarrassed at what I first thought when I read that sentence.

Darwin
03-04-2016, 01:17 AM
Shame on you Bas. Mickey, I just saw this. Hope all went well and you are well on the mend without a lot of pain. My best to ya.

Mickey Richaud
03-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Slack is there... in both hoses, Bas. :jester: A friend told me about his first experience with a cath - said he told the doc he didn't need a fire hose!

Pumping plenty of fluids - didn't think about cranberry juice - thanks for the suggestion.

Better yesterday and today so far. Wednesday can't get here soon enough!

NutmegCT
03-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Slack is there... in both hoses, Bas. :jester: A friend told me about his first experience with a cath - said he told the doc he didn't need a fire hose!

Pumping plenty of fluids - didn't think about cranberry juice - thanks for the suggestion.

Better yesterday and today so far. Wednesday can't get here soon enough!

Ah yes, I remember it well. gak

Are you having tamsulosin, and followup radiation too?

Tom M.

Mickey Richaud
03-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Ah yes, I remember it well. gak

Are you having tamsulosin, and followup radiation too?

Tom M.

No idea of any followup yet. Will find out Wednesday.

drooartz
03-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Good to hear you're on the mend, Mickey. Not a part of getting older that I'm looking forward to.

billspit
03-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Mickey
Your experience sounds exactly like mine was, except I hurt like a mofo for a few days. The Dr. gave me a script for lortab and then told me not to take it. I had a good Dr. and also had the robotic procedure. I didn't have to have any radiation or chemo follow-up. They got it all (at least so far). Best of luck.

LarryK
03-08-2016, 03:17 PM
O'Boy, tomorrow is ouch day! Good Luck!

rick_ingram
03-08-2016, 04:11 PM
I've been closely monitored for prostate cancer since September of 2009.

My PSA has ranged from 4.0 to its current level of about 11.0. (I go back in to see the urologist in April)

My biopsy came back negative.

A urine screen for Prostate Cancer Gene (PCA-3 test) also came back negative.

https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/DeviceApprovalsandClearances/Recently-ApprovedDevices/ucm294907.htm

I have no problems other than a palpable enlarged gland upon DRE....at present it concerns neither me nor my urologist.

I've lost at least four friends (including my father-in-law) to metastatic prostatic cancer (all went to the bone and was a very painful death)...this is nothing to mess around with.

Mickey Richaud
03-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Mickey
Your experience sounds exactly like mine was, except I hurt like a mofo for a few days. The Dr. gave me a script for lortab and then told me not to take it. I had a good Dr. and also had the robotic procedure. I didn't have to have any radiation or chemo follow-up. They got it all (at least so far). Best of luck.

I took some Percoset (Oxycodone) for a couple days, then switched to Tylenol. Pain hasn't been unbearable; just the stinging from the catheter WHENEVER I move! Yesterday and today actually have been not bad at all. Still, I'm ready for tomorrow!

Mickey Richaud
03-08-2016, 04:45 PM
O'Boy, tomorrow is ouch day! Good Luck!

Yeah, but that ouch is momentary!

Mickey Richaud
03-08-2016, 04:50 PM
I've been closely monitored for prostate cancer since September of 2009.

My PSA has ranged from 4.0 to its current level of about 11.0. (I go back in to see the urologist in April)

My biopsy came back negative.

A urine screen for Prostate Cancer Gene (PCA-3 test) also came back negative.

https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/DeviceApprovalsandClearances/Recently-ApprovedDevices/ucm294907.htm

I have no problems other than a palpable enlarged gland upon DRE....at present it concerns neither me nor my urologist.

I've lost at least four friends (including my father-in-law) to metastatic prostatic cancer (all went to the bone and was a very painful death)...this is nothing to mess around with.

You're pretty much where I was, Rick, though my PSA level only reached just below 8. It was a steady incline, had an earlier biopsy that was negative, and a relatively new test indicated trouble. After that result, had my second biopsy, which showed two areas with positive readings. The "new" test is called "Apifiny". Check it out: https://armune.com/apifiny-prostate-cancer-test/

Were it not for that one, I might have waited it out longer. Glad I didn't!

rick_ingram
03-08-2016, 07:03 PM
You're pretty much where I was, Rick, though my PSA level only reached just below 8. It was a steady incline, had an earlier biopsy that was negative, and a relatively new test indicated trouble. After that result, had my second biopsy, which showed two areas with positive readings. The "new" test is called "Apifiny". Check it out: https://armune.com/apifiny-prostate-cancer-test/

Were it not for that one, I might have waited it out longer. Glad I didn't!

Thanks....just looked it up...and sent the information on to my urologist for his review. (I was the first patient that he used the PCA3 test on...and I next see him on June 8th.)

Mickey Richaud
03-09-2016, 12:55 PM
FREE AT LAST!

Catheter's gone; now just have to do some muscle training. :wink:

Pathology report showed 35% cancer involvement in the prostate. Nothing in the lymph nodes, so I'm feeling VERY positive right now!

Thanks again for all the well-wishes.

Gliderman8
03-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Glad to hear the good news.

DrEntropy
03-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Glad I didn't!

Me too, Bro. And cranberry juice is KING. Along with a water regimen. Force fluids!

Mickey Richaud
03-10-2016, 06:27 AM
Me too, Bro. And cranberry juice is KING. Along with a water regimen. Force fluids!

Actually, doctor told me yesterday that I could back off pushing fluids now. Depends are comfortable-fitting, but I don't want to use up my retirement funds on 'em! :wink:

NutmegCT
03-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Hi Mickey - I know we here at BCF want to be helpful and give advice, but ... have your doctors given you specifics on diet, continuing medication, activity, what to watch out for, and "what to expect" over the coming weeks?

A few guys I know didn't get much detail from the professionals after their prostate surgery, and when they just took their buddies' advice, well, more "great unpleasantness" resulted.

Tom M.

Mickey Richaud
03-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Tom -

My doctor is not the buddy-buddy type, but very professional and thorough. I asked him about diet, and his response was no restrictions, just don't overdo.

As for medication, none for now, other than what I was on beforehand.

Activity: take it easy for a few days, then gradually increase. No heavy lifting, due to hernia risk.

Incontinence will continue a while, but he expected it to improve after a couple of weeks. (Counting on that!)

Followup in six weeks.

pdplot
03-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Sounds like you're doing fine. I'm on tamsulosin (Flomax) for flow and Finasteride to shrink the prostate. Also take saw palmetto for "just in case". Avoiding TURP is my main objective. So far, so good. Only once a night trip.

John Turney
03-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Sounds like great news!

Mickey Richaud
03-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Sounds like you're doing fine. I'm on tamsulosin (Flomax) for flow and Finasteride to shrink the prostate. Also take saw palmetto for "just in case". Avoiding TURP is my main objective. So far, so good. Only once a night trip.

Odd thing about my situation is that I really didn't have typical symptoms, which contributed to my near-denial of what was going on. No family history of prostate issues, prostate was not enlarged (doctor remarked about how normal it was), no frequent trips to the bathroom, and though I've awakened during the night, it was due more to my snoring/mild sleep apnea. It was the Apifiny blood work that really began to tip the scales.

Did quite a bit of research, and the two things that jumped out at me were how widespread this is and how it presents in so many different ways.