PDA

View Full Version : wire wheel problem

Adrio
06-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I have had some bad luck with one of my TR4A wire wheels. There seems to be a school of thought that says "don't bother with used ones" and on other that says "we are all driving with used wheels" Does the group have any thoughts on this. Also would anyone know of a good used 60 spoke wheel near Ottawa that is looking for a good home?

Andy Blackley
06-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Adrio: Having experienced really bad old ones, decent old ones, and most recently nice new 72 spoke Daytons, I say go new if you can. If you must have wire wheels (I must - I put them on my TR250 since I think they look great on the Michelotti body) it is money well spent, IMHO.
That said the next choice would be used ones from a nice dry climate, with low miles (as if you could really verify that...). My previous car, a 69 MGB, came from Arizona and still had its original wheels which were exceptionally clean and tight, but they did start to show their age as the splines were starting to show 80K miles of wear and tear. If I had kept it I had planned to replace them with chrome wire wheels.

Geo Hahn
06-28-2005, 07:41 PM
True that I am now driving on 'used' wire wheels... but since I bought them new I know how they have been maintained and what work (none) has been done to them.

Still, a used one isn't out of the question but look very closely at the condition of the splines.

kindofblue
06-29-2005, 10:54 AM
I take it resplining rusted wires is just not worth it. I keep thinking about that garaged TR4 I found in my neighborhoo the other week, with factory wires and eared spinners. I think I will try to slowly wear him down and buy it for parts someday (hopefully).

The wires looked old and somewhat rusty. Being it was a MA car I'll bet they are probably worn past use. What value do original factory wires maintain?

Adrio
06-29-2005, 10:59 AM
In my case it is not the spline that let go, it was the spokes. If that car you are talking about has a 60 spoke wire spare wheel in the boot, see if he will part with that, and I will buy it (if the price and condition of the wheel are right)

LastDeadLast
06-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Allen Hendrix of Hendrix Wire Wheel (www.hendrixwirewheel.com) once told me that to take a new wire wheel adapter and try to insert it into a used wheel. If the adapter fits easily, then it's a good wheel (at least as far as the splines go). If you have problems with the adapter getting stuck, then you may want to think twice about purchasing them. Note the more force need to push the adapter in the wheel indicates a higher level of wear.

Most of the time, spokes can be replaced or adjusted to true a wire wheel, but if the splines are worn badly it's a 35 pound paper weight.

kindofblue
06-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Actually I meant re-spoking an original set of wires. I didn't realize the issues with the splines. Like everything on these cars, wear and time takes its toll....

MGTF1250Dave
06-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Aloha All,

Another consideration is that if the splines on the wheel are worn, the splines on the hub adapter are most likely also worn. A new wheel on a worn adapter will soon ware the wheel's splines. Additionally, I think one of the big issues with older wire wheels is internally rusted rims and spoke nipples. IMO, if it is badly rusted (spoke nipples fused to the rim), tuning the spokes will be impossible. I have not found a shop that will tune a wire wheel so I don't know what it would cost. Does any one know?

Safety Fast,
Dave

LastDeadLast
06-29-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like everything on these cars, wear and time takes its toll....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, If I remember right, Allen said the average life span for a wire wheel was 80-90K miles. At 96K, my original wheels and adapters were shot.

LastDeadLast
06-29-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have not found a shop that will tune a wire wheel so I don't know what it would cost. Does any one know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hendrix Wire Wheel does it for $60/wheel.

kindofblue
06-29-2005, 06:22 PM
This TR4 has over 100K on it.

MGTF1250Dave
06-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks Shannon.

Safety Fast,
Dave