PDA

View Full Version : British Car Puzzle

Boink
02-08-2016, 10:29 PM
While recovering from my aortic valve replacement (and repair of the ascending aorta), I've been a bit house-bound (not allowed to drive).
During this time I've been trying to keep active... and one thing I hadn't planned on until it arrived on my door was a PUZZLE (sent as a gift). It's been a couple of days of great fun, and I see there are others out there (of English cars or even 1950s American cars).
If you like jigsaw puzzles, I recommend them. Very high quality too (and a goodly sized thing). 1000 pieces.

GregW
02-08-2016, 11:00 PM
I love puzzles, but I have to limit mine to the cell phone. Having a cat guarantees I would never finish a real puzzle.

JPSmit
02-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Nice - and even nicer that you are recovering! be well.

Boink
02-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Nice - and even nicer that you are recovering! be well.

Thanks JP. It was quite the experience... though I'm very fortunate to not having any pain (and I hear some have terrible post-surgical sternal pain). Recovery is going very nicely (here at week #4). They won't let me drive until week #6 (due, mostly, to airbag risks).

AN5Sprite
02-08-2016, 11:59 PM
They won't let me drive until week #6 (due, mostly, to airbag risks).

No airbag in the Sprite... I'm sure the Dr. would approve. :encouragement:

Silverghost
02-09-2016, 01:11 AM
(due, mostly, to airbag risks). That's not a problem - just tell the Dr. you will leave the mother-in-law at home..... :emmersed:

waltesefalcon
02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Mark, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

"No airbag in the Sprite... I'm sure the Dr. would approve. :encouragement:"

I agree that is an excellent idea.

JPSmit
02-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Mark, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

"No airbag in the Sprite... I'm sure the Dr. would approve. :encouragement:"

I agree that is an excellent idea.

Yes, a spear is sooo much better than a balloon! :devilgrin:

Bayless
02-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Glad to hear you are recovering and not too uncomfortable. Get well quick.

Boink
02-09-2016, 01:28 PM
No airbag in the Sprite... I'm sure the Dr. would approve. :encouragement:

Yep... getting in and out of cars requires some caution. Not sure I'll be driving the wee one until to April.

Boink
02-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear you are recovering and not too uncomfortable. Get well quick.

Thanks all. Getting stir-crazy but at least I'm getting a lot of reading done (and, who knows, maybe another puzzle).

I do have one amusing story from my hospital experience.
So when I come out of surgery, for analgesia, I was put onfentanyl (which is a super powerful synthetic opiate). Supposedly, it’s something like 100 times more powerful thannatural morphine, but very short-acting. I was on that for a short while andwas switched to oxycodone (a lesser semi-natural opiate that I can’t stand andalmost always decline prescriptions for it); I did need that for a leastanother day after the surgery.
Just about the time I was moved from the ICU to theCV-PCU (a kind of lesser ICU for the cardiac crowd – and man there were somesick puppies in there), I did experience some pain and asked for somethingstronger again. They gave me morphine (every 3 hours) for, well, just onecycle. Within maybe 30 minutes of getting the shot, I was claiming therewere bugs on the floor. My wife said “WHAT are you talking about?” I waspositive they were moving, just a bit, and made her step on acouple. [they may have been tiny pieces of lint, dirt, or totalfigments of my imagination] ‘Course, the moment I told a nurse about the“problem”… I was rather quickly taken off morphine, and put back on oxy foranother day.
So, now my medical record indicates that in addition to being allergic to sulfa drugs, I "hallucinates with morphine." :o

NutmegCT
02-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Mark - reminds me of my own "anaesthetic" experience. When I was back in the post-op room, one of the surgical nurses came over and said "So did his wife really kill him?"

I asked what the heck she was talking about.

Apparently, while I was "under", I told the whole surgical team of the last days of President Harding, his death while on a speaking tour, and the rumors that his wife had poisoned him due to his philandering and other "associated" scandals.

Yikes!

Boink
02-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Hilarious, Tom.
Yes, we say funny things when "high." During an angiogram (in early December - they do that to check your coronary arteries, figuring that they could by-pass those while in there - but didn't need that), I'm told I was chatting away the entire time asking questions, but I remember nothing.

catfood
02-10-2016, 03:52 AM
I had an angio a few years ago, had it done under a local but they gave me something to relax me. I couldn't stop giggling all the way through the procedure and for about an hour after.

PAUL161
02-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Hope your recovery is a quick one, good luck on that.

After the last car show, my son had this made in Germany from a photo taken at the show. 2000 piece puzzle. took two of us two weeks to put together. PJ

Box came out poorly.
From this photo.

sail
02-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Moss has templates on their site for a paper model:
Here's to a strong speedy recovery.

Boink
02-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks.
I have that Moss cut-out (even colored it the same as my Bugeye)... but I found it nearly impossible to assemble (for me anyway) - too many weird folds.
I do like the idea of making a puzzle with a particularly good photo. I'm going to look into that!

Boink
02-18-2016, 07:30 PM
OK, fresh on the heels of the first puzzle, I ordered another one... mostly British classics. Gonna start this one ASAP. [ordered through Amazon]

Boink
02-22-2016, 06:29 PM
And now I've completed it. Now, I really do need to do more active things. 6 weeks to the day since the valve job (and lube). :highly_amused:
This "Gibson" one had various classics (English mostly but with French as well).