PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A - Forward Lighting

interfx
06-27-2005, 05:50 PM
A basic question, I have a '59 TR3A works great, but during vehvile inspection here in MA, I can not get the forward lighting to be "bright" enough to pass state inspection...

Any ideas on what I should try first? I'm not handy with electrical systems (only taking mechanical items apart like carbs...)

Where to start?

- Are new headlamps going to solve my problem?
- Someone said to check for a loose ground wire? Eveyrhting else works fine electrically though...
- Generator issues? regulator issues?

Thanks in advance for suggestions on where to start first...

Geo Hahn
06-27-2005, 11:49 PM
As I recall the headlights have their own ground... it is a two-sided bullet connector connection in the vicintity of the horns (one on each side). Sort of a pair of metal loops that form the female connections for a couple of bullets (balck wires). I would certainly start by cleaning up those connections.

Yes, newer technology may also help -- you can use a sealed beam halogen without drawing too much current. To go to the really bright stuff you would probably need an alternator (and relays on the headlamp circuits).

Andy Blackley
06-27-2005, 11:57 PM
I recently installed sealed beam halogens I bought at Autozone for about $13 ea. Literally twice as bright as the old Lucas units they replace.

interfx
06-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Great idea... Any idea of the part number you bought?

Geo Hahn
06-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Most parts stores carry a 7" sealed beam halogen, I think mine were Sylvania. They are in the blue boxes in this photo of the 'parts room' that went back to being the 'guest room' when the TR went back together:

https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/parts-2.JPG

I would still clean up the ground connections if they look at all doubtful.

Andy Blackley
06-28-2005, 02:22 PM
George: Thems the ones I used! Like you say most parts stores have them in stock, although good old 7" round ones aren't so common anymore. We can thank Jeep for using them on the current generation of Wranglers that they should be around for a while longer.

interfx
06-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Awesome... I'm running out tonight to pick up a pair...

Thanks again -
Todd