PDA

View Full Version : TR6 New rust discovered



crash21
01-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Just a couple of new pics of some of the rust I have uncovered. This is the worst I have found so far. The other side looks similar but is not quit as bad.
I plan to order the replacement panels for this repair.
4094740948

ed_h
01-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Not uncommon. If that' really all there is, you are a lucky man!

I had to repair the B post panels, too, along with a lot of other areas : https://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-49/TR6-49.html

Ed

crash21
01-22-2016, 08:57 PM
Ive seen those pics a few times Ed_h and you are a talented fellow to have repaired all of that.
As I said, that is what I have found "so far".
I have been working on cleaning off the undercoating, which has been no easy task, and so far the rocker panels and floor pans are actually in pretty good shape.
One thing that concerns me is that the PO put on a new rear panel without replacing the inner panel. The inner panel has some perforations but the outer panel is brand new. I don't know if I can remove the inner without removing the outer.

ed_h
01-22-2016, 10:43 PM
I don't know if I can remove the inner without removing the outer.

I think that would be tough.

Ed

crash21
01-22-2016, 11:11 PM
I guess that sounded a bit odd.

crash21
01-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Here are a couple new pics from todays work. I removed the sill end cap and looked into the rocker. It looks very good.
Once I remove the back of the B pillar the other rust will be exposed and I should be able to take care of it.https://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u446/2008vert/Triumph/20160123_171216_zpsaagvugz8.jpg
https://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u446/2008vert/Triumph/20160123_171351_zpsdq16uozk.jpg

Tom74TR6
01-25-2016, 01:55 PM
That sill looks in good shape.
Take a paint bush and tape it to a broom handle.
Soak the brush in POR15 and saturate the cavity so you will never have to worry about it again.

crash21
01-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Fingers crossed that the other one looks as good!
I was going to wait until I had the rust sorted before I did any rustproofing inside the sills so I can take care of all of the newly replaced areas.

crash21
01-31-2016, 04:58 PM
Some pics of the latest round of cleaning and grinding.
As it turns out I have the replacement panels for the deck area in my my boxes of parts. They have some surface rust on them but nothing serious.
Yes I bent the sill end cap a bit. I have new ones and was in the process of grinding the spot welds out so I can do some rustproofing and check the sills for damage.
I have a new 140 amp MIG Welder and have been practicing. Still not real pretty but getting better.
41154411554115641152

PeterK
02-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Phosphoric acid will remove the rust on your new/old replacement panel. Let is sit for a couple of hours then wash it off with soap and water.

crash21
02-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Phosphoric acid will remove the rust on your new/old replacement panel. Let is sit for a couple of hours then wash it off with soap and water.

Thanks for the info.
I used Naval Jelly and it came off just fine.

I found out the entire story behind the car.
20 years ago a guy decided to start a restoration business. He bought 4 Porsche 914's, 3 Austin Healey 3000's, a 67 911 and a 72 TR6.
He contracted a local mechanic to do all of the work and he was going to be his "goto" guy for body work/restoration help.
He started with 1 914 and the TR6 and sent them to be restored.
Here's where things get a little fuzzy but part of it was I just didn't feel that it would be appropriate to ask.
The guy I bought the car from is the original guys brother. All he told me was he "inherited" all of these cars and that he was a woodworker, not a car builder so he was selling off all but 1 running Austin Healey and the 911.
I don't know if "inherited" means the brother is no longer with us but as I said it really wasn't any of my business. If he wanted to tell me he would so I just left it at that.
So the TR6 sat for 17 years in the condition I bought it. All in pieces and boxes and stored in the basement of the woodworking shop with all the other cars.
I have new seal kits, door hinges, mirrors, replacement panels, fenders, door skins, suspension bushings, springs, brake shoes, crash pads, trim rings and many other brand new parts.
I've looked at some of the prices for some of the things I have that are NOS and repro and there are several thousand dollars in new parts.
I paid $2000 for the car so I think I did pretty well. It certainly needs a lot of work but I wanted a project and it seemed like a good starting point.
The only thing I wish is that I could have gotten an assembled car and taken it apart myself. But in my area TR6's aren't very common and especially ones that aren't rusted to pieces.
That's the story of the car as far as I know of it's history. I haven't found the commission plate yet and if I don't I will order a new one.
I don't know if the car was red or white. The underside of the bonnet and boot are red as well as the insides of the doors. I am pretty sure that the car was red at some point...now if that is the original color I don't know. I think it may have been painted at some point because there is a tape line of red paint all the way around the base of the windshield seal.
Thanks for reading..Updates to come