PDA

View Full Version : General Tech Rivet removal

ichthos
12-05-2015, 01:30 AM
I am trying to fix up a couple of Lucas SFT fog lights. I had to remove the two small emblems on top to be rechromed. Does anyone know what kind of rivets were used to attach these? How do I remove the rivets from the emblems? Any advice is appreciated.
Kevin

trrdster2000
12-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Kevin, generally on those small ones I use a dremell with a small grind stone to get the edges off. The replacements are another thing. Get the size and check out the net. I have some of the small brass ones and a leather worker has different ones also.
Were they chromed?

Wayne

ichthos
12-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Using my Dremel to separate the emblems from the casing was easy. There is still a small stub sticking out from the emblems I need to remove before I can proceed. These pieces are pot metal. The rivets fit very tightly into the holes on these pieces, and I have no idea how to remove these. I had one spare, and trying to drill them out was a disaster. Any ideas how to remove the remaining rivet? I have never seen these types of rivets before.
Kevin

trrdster2000
12-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Kevin can you get the pointed grind stone in there and get the edges off enough to get rid of it? If it's too long just cut it down with some wire cutters, just enough to make it fit.

Wayne