PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire How rare is Spitfire Mk 1-2 overdrive?

drooartz
06-22-2005, 10:17 AM
As my car quest continues, I've been narrowing down the possible cars that really interest me, and are in my meager budget. One that keeps coming up is the early Spitfires. My research indicates that at least some came with overdrives from the factory. Is this a particuarly rare option? In my brief looks through classifieds/eBay I haven't seen this option mentioned much.

Also, does this overdrive have a steering column mounted stalk switch? My Spitfire book doesn't mention where the switch is. Trying to make sure I can accurately ID these cars as they come up.

Thanks, as always.
-Drew

trsteve
06-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Overdrive switch is a column stalk. The gearshift type didn't end up their until the MkIV models. As for the overdrive being rare, I think that they might have tried to keep selling price down on the Spitfire's, Overdrive's on most of the Spitfire's I see were owner installed. Factory thinking might have been, cheaper car keep the sticker price down.

Steve

vagt6
06-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Factory overdrive Spits and GT6s are relatively rare. But the Laycock overdrive units are not. Nice, and not so nice examples of D and J-type ODs may be found without too much work. Or, you can ante up the bucks and purchase a professionally rebuilt one.

I think it's one of the most utilitarian upgrades we can make to a Spit or GT6. The overdrive transforms the car, makes it far more road-worthy, IMHO.

Good luck!

billspit
06-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I've never seen and original Mk 1 or 2 that had the factory OD. Of course some exist somewhere. I put a late model single rail OD in my Mk 1.

drooartz
06-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the information. I've been trying to figure if I should be holding out for an OD Spitfire if I decide to go that route, or just figure on adding it in later. Living here in Utah requires a certain amount of freeway to get to the good sports car roads, and an OD just sounds like a really good idea for car/sanity preservation.

Does installing a Laycock OD require a different transmission, or just the appropriate adaptors?

-Drew

trsteve
06-22-2005, 05:44 PM
You will also need to change the trans mainshaft besides the adaptor plate and sometimes the mount.