PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Turn signal shaft

Rut
11-29-2015, 07:36 PM
I would like to remove the shaft from my turn signal switch and have it rechromed...do they unscrew or pull out from the switch body and plastic tip?
Thanks, Rut

trrdster2000
11-29-2015, 09:07 PM
Not the answer you want but they are molded into the switch and right at impossible to get out without destroying the whole thing. You might be able to melt it just enough to get it out, but I think it would be very difficult to it back together. The later models had a rubber coating which is easy, get a piece of heat shrink that goes on wire connections.

Wayne

Brinkerhoff
11-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Mine had the shaft broken out of the plastic switch base so I can tell you it looked to have the base molded around the shaft and not intended to be taken apart.

Rut
11-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys...I've got 2 of each switch and I wanted to have them rechromed, but it sounds like I should either paint or shrink wrap.
Rut

Marvin Gruber
11-29-2015, 09:53 PM
As others have said, molded in. Better off to leave alone if they are working now. Suggest paint or shrink wrap.
marv

TR3driver
11-29-2015, 10:11 PM
Here's an old article that you might find helpful. Basically how to use chrome foil. (Sorry it's in MS Word format. When I try to convert to PDF, the layout goes crazy.)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffcE1fa2V6cjV3Mm8

Rut
11-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Thanks again guys! I think I'll give the foil a try...my other thought was to buff it bright and clear coat it with Duplicolor wheel finish. I used this technique on a black painted shift lever on an MGB that I buffed out and it looked great and has held up well...very close to polished SS.
Rut

Geo Hahn
11-30-2015, 02:53 PM
The replacement switch for an OD had that black plastic on it- I removed that thinking I would use Justin's foil trick but in the end I polished up the bare metal shaft and clear coated and it looks just fine. So, depending on how far yours are gone that may be good enough, else the foil.