PDA

View Full Version : GT6 Where have all the GT6s gone?

MedicMan55
06-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Medicman again, ive been looking on ebay and a couple of other sites, and there are few if none on the site. Is this because of the nice weather and people driving them? Is it just a low point in the sale of GT6s? I would like to know.

Medic

sammyb
06-22-2005, 02:21 AM
The problem with GT6s is that there are fewer relative to Spitfires, but they have similar low values and problems with trim parts that are not reproduced. Therefore, the low value makes them cost prohibitive to restore.

So many of the GT6s are rotting away under tarps. They do come up for sale, but the best place to find them is not on Ebay, but on regional sites, like Craigslist.com, collectorcartraderonline.com etc...

78Z
06-22-2005, 03:15 AM
Quite a few are hacked for upgrade parts for Spitfires too.

kindofblue
06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

So many of the GT6s are rotting away under tarps.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right. My friend has two of them, one restorable, one parts, sitting under tarps in NJ. I can't convince him to sell them, even though he hasn't done anything with them in years.

vagt6
06-22-2005, 11:38 AM
I think it's been that way with GT6s for many years. It's always difficult to find a nice example.

But, nice ones are out there for sale. Timing is everything, you simply have to keep at it, monitoring all the sales venues until you find the right one.

It took me almost a year to find my last GT6, and it was worth the wait.

BTW, if you'll let us know what you're looking for, maybe someone here could alert you if one surfaces?

Good luck, wait for the "right" one!

sammyb
06-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Mark is absolutely right...it is all about timing, which means the more places you look, the better chance you have at finding one.

It is not uncommon to spend one or two years looking for the right LBC.

BOXoROCKS
06-23-2005, 11:05 AM
"where have all the GT6's gone"...
"gone to flowers everyone"

Rippthrough
07-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I've got two, one restorable,one for parts....

Geo Hahn
07-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Here's a theory for which I have no supporting empirical evidence: GT6s seem to have been more popular in the East & Northeast as compared to the West & Southwest due perhaps to the weather. Thus, in addition to fewer being built, they may have a higher mortality rate from rust.

MDCanaday
07-04-2005, 11:23 AM
I think that if there EVER were any loyal gt6 owners ,they were baked alive long ago on the first hot day of summer.How these cars were ever sold without sunroofs(as the period VWs had) is more than I can fathom.
MD(mad dog)

Bugeye58
07-04-2005, 11:30 AM
The Webasto sunroof was an option on the GT6. After the MkI, the later ones had improved ventilation, but it never did entirely solve the problem. Of course, mine is an early MkI, with absolutely no ventilation. One of these days I'll get it finished, and play shake & bake.
A friend of mine used to work for a Ferrari/Triumph dealer, and she told me that the GT6 was the hottest car she had ever driven in her life.
Jeff

TR_Jim
07-04-2005, 02:41 PM
I spent a lot of time sealing up my GT6 and now it's fairly comfortable, even on hot summer days. I used that heat/sound deadening material to line the inside of the trans tunnel and the floor boards. I also added an extra seal when mounting the tunnel. I'd recommend using that heat/sound deadening material...it really helps.

Bugeye58
07-04-2005, 02:57 PM
But, Jim, you have those zoomie little dash vents, and the extra vents in the bonnet and rear quarter panel, don't you?
I've got squat in the MkI. I've got the aluminum mat slated for installation, as well as a firewall blanket, and extra sealing planned for around the tunnel.
I don't plan on driving the thing all that much when the weather is unbearable anyway. That's what all my topless cars are for.
Jeff

TR_Jim
07-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Mine is also a MKI. No vents in the dash. Before I redid the tunnel I died from the heat. Now, it's pretty much like any other hardtop.

vagt6
07-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Too hot in your GT6??? No problemo!!!

Just open up the rear hatch and go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif