PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 A Transmission rebuild

RonR
11-04-2015, 10:10 PM
I am sure this will be the first of many questions.

I have both the clutch fork set-screw safety wire and the set-bolt removed, and the locking bolt and grease fitting removed from the right side of the transmission. The shaft will begin to slide out but the clutch fork will not slide along the shaft, or rotate around the shaft other than a few degrees. I have tried penetrating oil but have not had any success. What have I failed to do?

How does one remove the speedometer drive once the set screw is removed?

Thanks.
Ron

CJD
11-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Look closely at the fork bolt you removed. It should have a portion on the end with no threads. If it doesn't, it broke off inside the shaft...very common.

For the speedo, screw the cable nut back on and pry against it.

TR3driver
11-04-2015, 10:36 PM
On the clutch fork, it sounds like the taper pin was broken and you haven't gotten the broken stub out of the hole. When that happened to me, I was able to drill a hole through the fork, in line with the pin from the other side, and tap it out with a punch. The hole needs to start on the slanted portion of the fork, so start drilling perpendicular to the surface and then slowly turn your drill motor as the bit starts to penetrate. Once you've got the hole drilled, find the center of the range of movement (both around and along the shaft) so the pin lines up with the hole, and tap it out. IIRC I used a 9/64 drill and a 1/8" punch.

The other option is to just cut through the shaft and replace it and the fork. One of those cheap angle grinders from HF with a cutoff blade will go through it in a matter of seconds. Cut on the lever side of the fork but near the fork, then both pieces should come out without having to cut again.

The speedo drive usually needs some persuasion. I thread an old cable on and use a pair of pry bars to pry up under the lip of the cap, being somewhat careful not to bugger the threads. Kind of like this (from the article on the Buckeye Triumphs site)
https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Gearbox/GearboxDisassembly/gearbo2.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd
11-05-2015, 07:53 AM
This may help with a visual.

https://youtu.be/9H4LI35oTK8

Cheers
Tush

Geo Hahn
11-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Didn't watch the movie, so maybe the same thing -- but this page shows the drilling-out Randall describes:

https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ClutchForkPin/RemovingBrokenClutchForkPins.htm

sp53
11-06-2015, 09:21 AM
I drove the last shaft out with a hammer. I have drilled them out also, but this last one the fork had shifted some and I drill into the shaft some, and I could not get it. I shored up the area with wooden blocks on the trans case the best I could and drove the shaft out. It came out easier than I thought it would. Evidently the rolling of the fork had smoothed out most of the bures and the shaft pounded out cleanly. I have seen many people cut those shafts also