PDA

View Full Version : Installing new distributor - the cat did it.....

06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Now I've gone and done it. I pulled my old distributor out to install my new rebuilt unit and I forgot which position my drive dog slipped into. How do I determine which position it goes in? It is 180 degrees one way or the other. Or does it matter? Since this all is cammed and geared in place, surely the rotor should be contacting only in one of the two possible positions. Only I could screw up something this simple. I would blame it on the cat but I don't have one.

Bill

Dave Russell
06-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Bill,
I thought the drive dog was offset a bit so that it could only go in one way. I may be thinking of another engine though.

A simple way would be to plug in the distributor & try it. If it doesn't work, try the opposite way.

The correct method would be to rotate the engine to TDC firing stroke, both valves closed, timing pointer lined up on crankshaft, & plug the distributor in with the rotor pointing to the number one plug wire position in the cap.
D

Keoke
06-21-2005, 02:27 AM
TR6Bill, Dave is correct the drive gear is keyed the distributor's driving dog will only go in and seat in one position.---Keoke