PDA

View Full Version : TR6 horn button wiring

Wike
10-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Having trouble wiring an after market horn button. I connect one lead that is on the spring loaded hub adapter to the horn button, but the other terminal on the horn button has to go to ground....where???

DNK
10-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Actually you are close and wrong.
The stock horns always have power.
The button just grounds the circuit.

So wire the aftermarket like that and you are golden. :encouragement:

And if that seems squirrelly
Get use to it the whole car is that way

Wike
10-23-2015, 12:52 PM
I understand that the horn sounds when grounded, my question is since the new horn button has two terminals on the back side and the hub adapter has one wire connected to the spring loaded plunger, where does the wire from the hub adapter go and where is the grounding point?

poolboy
10-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Have you tried the horn with the button in place ?

TR3driver
10-25-2015, 01:59 AM
He posted photos on another site; that make it appear the button has a tab for ground. The outer edge is plastic, so no ground there (unless there was a brass contact not in the photo).

Wike
10-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Problem solved....when I replaced the wiring harness, the two paired together grounds coming out of the new loom needed to be connected to the lower steering rack, under the plug. I had mistakenly connected these two wires to the frame/radiator support piece. It was quite a while from the time I removed the old wiring harness to the time I installed the new....3+ years! Thanks for everyone's help.