PDA

View Full Version : Quest for perfection (OCD)

06-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Since I am in the process of doing a major overhaul of several systems in my TR6 to improve what I imagine to be less than stellar performance, I noticed that the female spade connector on the hot side of my Sport Coil had a severe crack in it, from taking it off and on so much. The connection is crimped and soldered and too much flexing from handling caused it to almost separate. I am sure that I was getting diminished flow across that junction. I think that all of us that worry about corroding connections tend to clean these things more than not. Bet many a mysterious malfunction is caused by this - leavem alone and let them corrode or clean them and break them. You are ****ed if you do and ****ed if you don't. Oh, and happy Father's Day to all you gearheads out there....

Bill

Alan_Myers
06-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Yep! One thing just leads to another.

I recently cleaned up the hood hinges on my car. One was fine, but the other had a couple bends in it and a crack in one corner. A little welding, cleanup with Dremel tool and touch of paint has it looking like new. This is the first the hood has been reinstalled on the car in 4 or 5 years! In fact, it's the only time in the 25+ years that I can say it's had all 8 screws installed in both hinges. Things were tweaked enough that the two on the outer edges never lined up with the holes.

Only problem is, now the entire hood is 3/16" farther back on the left side and any adjustment on the slotted screwholes is maxxed out. Some checks with a tape measure seem to show that the welded in anchor nuts are the root of the problem. They are roughly 1/4" farther rearward on the left side of the car (where there are a few signs that minor accident damage was repaired sometime before I bought the car).

Sooooo, looks like I'll be removing the fender, grinding off the nuts and welding on new ones just a little farther forward, to get everything to line up just right!

While looking at the hood and hinges and marking off where the oil cooler intake vents are going be cut, I also noticed the front valance/grill isn't quite centered. It's about 1/4-3/8" right of perfect. Probably related to the hinge/fender issue. That's one more thing to put on "The List"!

Cheers and happy OCD!

Alan Myers
'62 TR4 CT17602L

Adrio
06-18-2005, 11:13 PM
When redoing your electical connectors, remember to use dialectric grease. This will reduce the number of times you hav eto clean them up as it keeps the moisture out which should slow down the corrosion. I used it when I rebuilt my TR3 (started driving it in 1985) and have not had an electrical problem since (that was a result of corrosion, that is).

Adrio

06-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Good point. I'll remember to do just that.

Bill