PDA

View Full Version : eBay strangeness

drooartz
06-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Just sold my motorcycle, and now have some LBC cash on hand, so I'm getting more serious about my early Spitfire/Bugeye/LBC search. I ran across this on eBay today:

eBay #4556663480 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4556663480&sspa gename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)

I sent the guy a quick note, with a few questions: history, rust, that sort of thing. He replied that he actually didn't own the car (?!?), that it was at a nearby small dealer. Sounds to me like he was hoping to sell it for more than that dealer wanted, buy the car, then pass it on to the eBay winner. Seems scary to me. How can you sell a car you don't actually own?

Is this sort of thing normal for eBay? Not too many LBCs for sale here in Utah (USA), so I'm figuring I'll have to do a distance buy. These sorts of circumstances make me rather nervous, though.

-Drew

waltesefalcon
06-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Drew, that one sounds kinda of scary, I'd stay away from it if I were you. Last time I checked selling other peoples property was just slightly illegal.

71tr
06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
The seller probably has some relationship with the dealer. I doubt he would speculate to sell and deliver a car on ebay without having worked out a deal with the current owner. I've noticed a number of ebay ads for cars that start; "I'm selling the car for a friend". What, can the friend not sign up for an ebay account? Maybe you should do a little more research and contact the dealer directly.

drooartz
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm walking away from this one, mostly just for the slightly-bad-vibe feeling. This guy may be on the straight up and up, but the gut is worried. He certainly didn't know anything about Spitfires (when asked about overdrive, he replied that the car was a manual). So no smirch on his character, but just seemed odd to me, and too much worry for a long distance sight-unseen transaction.

-Drew

Paul Johnson
06-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Drew, I live only about 50 miles from Greenville, and being retired, would be happy to hop on a motorcycle to ride over and look at this car if you continue to be interested in it.
Also, check out another local one at www.sportscarwarehouse.com. (https://www.sportscarwarehouse.com.) I don't know the car itself, but know the shop who is listing it for the owner. Looks pretty nice to me, and I've considered grabbing it but so far have managed to resist.

BOXoROCKS
06-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Its not a 1967 anything. He is full of BS.If I may make a repeated comment, to avoid a piece of junk. Get some one WHO KNOWS what they are looking at.Suprisingly enough I have p*ssed a few people off by telling them that they should avoid a particular car.Strange as it seems some people uncounsusly want to be lied to.They have a fantasy and don't want it ruined with the truth.I guess it insults thier judgement ability.I love Nicholson's great line,"You can't handle the truth" This is just a rambling and isn't aimed at you. I know you have been paying attention to other posters.

drooartz
06-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the offer, Paul. I've decided to walk on the eBay car, but I'm going to follow up on the one you mentioned at the other dealer. I'm still in the which-LBC-do-I-want phase, but if that one becomes a realistic choice, I'll likely get in touch with you for an inspection.

I also appreciate the sentiments from BOXoROCKS. I'm still learning how to shop for an old car, and I'm being very careful. Now that I finally have some sort of fund together, I'm not willing to spend it carelessly. Money's not that easy to come by, after all, and there are lots of fun old cars out there.

-Drew

vettedog72
06-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Assuming 1.)its not rusty underneath 2.)and you can get a legit title for it and 3.)a guy from BCF will look it over for free 4.)and the seller will let it go for less than 3 grand, I don't think you wil find a better deal. Gees, what are you looking for? You know it had to have brake work done and clutch work done fuel tank and carb work done after 15 years. From the pictures, it did look good for $3k. Every car you buy is a chance; I bet you will not find a better deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

drooartz
06-15-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every car you buy is a chance; I bet you will not find a better deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may very well be true, but I'm still not 100% that a Spitfire is really what I want (still really like Bugeyes and all sorts of other things). So I'm willing to pass on a great deal right now so that I wind up with the right thing.

I'm just being extra patient, so that I get the car I want, not just the first really good deal. I've only been looking seriously for a week or so, and expect this might take a year or more. Besides, every month I can grow my fund a little more, which increases my options.

Knowing that there are folks here who might be willing to do an inspection (and I would expect to pay at least something for it) is a great resource as well. An example of the best of the Internet. I'm glad again that I found this forum--thanks to all of you who chip in to help out those (like me) just figuring out how this old car stuff works.

-Drew

vettedog72
06-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Drew:
The car looks so good in the pictures and the low price just seems too good to be true. On the other hand, it just may be the deal that gets away. If you have not decided on the model, it would not make sense to get it unless you could add some value and find a bigger "fish" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I like bug eye's too. If it is not the car you want though, it would not be fun to work on and make those hidden discoveries of what really needs to be repaired.

mailbox
06-15-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm walking away from this one, mostly just for the slightly-bad-vibe feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is wise to go with your "gut feeling" on this one. Be patient. Another one will along very soon and have you wondering why you wanted to buy that "P.O.S." to start with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif