PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Bad carb on 78 Spit-need suggestions

AustinJim
06-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Just disassembled the carb on my 78 Spit barn find to rebuild it and most everything in the float chamber was rusted. The little metal bracket that supports the float was rusted into pieces. The place where the fuel enters is also rusted into a blob. I'm thinking I'll have to replace the carb but I'd like to hear your opinions. If I do replace it, should I go back with another original one (Zenith Stromberg) or something else?
Thanks!

Dugger
06-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Now there are SU guys and ZS guys. I have both [twin SU's on the 68Spit & twin ZS's on the TR]and I see no reason to waste a good carb because of a little gunk in the bowl. If the damper bushes are not worn out, I would stick with what you have. Parts are easy to come by and most local auto parts stores still carry the rebuild kits with all the O-rings, gaskets and such. I know Moss, VB, and Roadster Factory carry the ZS internals. I would suspect that the 'gunk' as you call it is a type of varnish residue from old gas left to dry in the carb bowl. This usually cleans out with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner.

waltesefalcon
06-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Jim, I'll second what Dugger said. Just clean everything as best as you can, and then look up the bits you need in Victoria British, and replace them. Really the only important thing on either an SU or a ZS, is that the piston, and its sleeve, are not worn out. Other than that they are easy to fix, and parts are readily avalible.