PDA

View Full Version : General Tech Steering Wheel-Idiot question

matttnz
08-07-2015, 03:34 AM
Idiot question please...

Am swapping my old & infirm Mountney wheel out for a new Moto-Lita one.
Any need to grease the splines/loctite the wheel nut? Or are they meant to just go on as is???
Specific Torque settings for the wheel nut????

Thanks in advance
MT

trrdster2000
08-07-2015, 06:03 AM
Dry fit is fine and better, you don't want to have it come off easy. As far as torque, 55 lbs comes to mind, others will confirm or update.
Nice wheels and give a completed look.

Wayne

Gliderman8
08-07-2015, 08:39 AM
Bentley manual states 26 - 34 lbs/ft for the 9/16" steering wheel nut. As far as a little grease on the splines... just my opinion, but I don't think a small amount will do any harm.

Geo Hahn
08-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Don't have a '6 so I don't know, but was the nut originally staked or otherwise secured? I would think some blue Locktite wouldn't come amiss.

He did say it was an 'idiot question' so I am fully qualified to respond to it.

matttnz
08-07-2015, 03:58 PM
Don't have a '6 so I don't know, but was the nut originally staked or otherwise secured? I would think some blue Locktite wouldn't come amiss.

He did say it was an 'idiot question' so I am fully qualified to respond to it.

Idiot replies welcome too! ;) (no staking/securing of the nut btw)

Thanks heaps guys & gliderman's pic.
Think I'll put a small smear of coppergrease on the splines so I can remove it 10y from now & some loctite on the nut so it doesn't migrate when driving...

Cheers all
MT

glemon
08-08-2015, 04:45 PM
I would put just a little grease or anti seize on the splines, just because I remember trying to get a slightly corroded one off once, and it was not much fun. I have never worried about Loctite and never had one come loose (factory TR wheels, maybe aftermarket will behave differently), but I suppose it is cheap insurance. Medium tight with the nut and it should stay put as long as you want it to be there.