PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Fiberglass hardtop

BillyB62
08-03-2015, 08:08 AM
I found a worn hardtop at a yardsale this weekend so I picked it up. I've been looking on the web (and forum) for the past two days trying to identify the manufacturer as I will need to restore the headliner and rubber (sanding & paint are a given!). Anyone seen a hardtop like this? As always, thanks in advance.

Andrew Mace
08-03-2015, 12:19 PM
I've never seen anything like it, but it is intriguing. Are those functional vents above the rear window? (I'll guess no, but....)

BillyB62
08-03-2015, 01:08 PM
No, its solid fiberglass. I sat it on the car and it appears to fit, so the claim it is for a TR3 (written on the roof) seems to be accurate. I may need to just buy "generic" seals if no one can identify it. It's amazingly light (which might not be a great thing) and I haven't figured how it will attach yet because there isn't any hardware besides a metal clip on the inside where the chrome meets the rubber piece.

LarryK
08-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Good find!

Marvin Gruber
08-03-2015, 08:44 PM
I like it! I had one like it for a MGA, don't remember who made it. The MGA one was ugly on the car.

marv

CJD
08-03-2015, 10:49 PM
I've never seen anything like it, but it is intriguing. Are those functional vents above the rear window? (I'll guess no, but....)

I think those are to clear the crew cuts "back in the day".

BillyB62
08-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the post Marv (among others!). Marv's post led me to look for vintage MGA hard tops, that led me to Plasticdynamics...as I read the posts, I found another company called Dynaplatics - where I found a picture on the Triumph Experience forum of same hard top.

According to the poster, it was made for a round tail spitfire.....bummer for me!