PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Trick to remove 78 Spit carb?

AustinJim
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi all,
I'm just beginning the restoration of a 78 Spit that was in a barn for 10 years. (A real barn find!) The gasoline was not drained and turn to gelatin. I'm going to rebuild the carb but the clearance around the nuts holding it on are really tight. Are there any tricks to getting this thing off? Just asking before I dive in.
P.S. I've really enjoyed This forum in the short time I've been watching. It obviously has many experienced folks who are willing to share. Maybe one day I'll be able to post something useful!
Thanks!

sparkydave
06-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi Jim, my '77 Midget uses the same engine and carb. It is possible to get the open end of a combination wrench in there. If I remember correctly, you have to loosen them both at the same time and slide the carb out a little because the nuts will run into the carb body before they clear the studs. Good luck with the gasoline jelly, that sounds like a nasty one. After you rebuild the carb you might want to consider adding a fuel filter, since you've just got a relatively coarse screen in the fuel pump and float valve.

-Dave

AustinJim
06-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the info. I planned to install a new fuel filter where the original one was near the tank but now I may add one just before the carb also. Thanks again!

sparkydave
06-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Ah, maybe Triumph was a little smarter and put on on the Spit, or the P.O. put one on. Mine never had a fuel filter originally. Speaking of fuel lines, check the rubber hoses in your car. Mine sat for 18 years and some of the hoses literally fell apart not long after I got it running. Fortunately these happened before the fuel pump so it didn't spray fuel everywhere.

-Dave

waltesefalcon
06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Jim, there is no trick to getting them off. You just have to do it the old fashioned way like Dave described. Be happy that gas tank is easy to get out, and be sure to clean all your fuel lines and your pump, before trying to start it. Good luck.