PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Windscreen Stanchion Guide Plates

Tropical TR
07-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Hello All,

Are the subject guide plates supposed to be chromed?

Regards,

Walter

Geo Hahn
07-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Mine were (though rather worn now with some brass showing through).

charleyf
07-05-2015, 08:03 PM
The original ones were chromed. I believe it is Joe Alexander now makes available polished stainless steel ones.
Charley

Tropical TR
07-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks, gentlemen. Thought they were, and I have seen those reproductions which look pretty good.

Regards,

Walter

Gordon_Dedrick
07-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Be careful.... The Windshield stantions fit very snug on the guide plates. A little too much plating and you'll have a devil of a time getting the windshield back on the car.

Tropical TR
07-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks Gordon. Was wondering about that myself and believe I am going to leave them as they are. Appreciate the caution.

Regards,

Walter

TomMull
07-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Be careful.... The Windshield stantions fit very snug on the guide plates. A little too much plating and you'll have a devil of a time getting the windshield back on the car.
Unless the platers try to reconstruct some of the part, plating is very unlikely to cause a problem. "Decorative Chrome Plating is actually a thicker (.0008/.0012”) Nickel plating followed by a thinner (.00001”) Chrome plating to protect the Nickel plating from pitting and peeling." https://www.jerseychrome.com/a_primer_on_chromium_plating.htm
Not only is the total plating very thin but good plating shops will remove all the old plating before re-plating the part. However, in this case I agree there is very little to gain at a significant expense. I'm not ssure the judges even look at them.
Tom
Tom

Tropical TR
07-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Thanks, Tom. Very good information.

Regards,

Walter