PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Distributor clamp with a Mallory?

Jim_Stevens
06-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Happy Fathers Day all!

Not so much for me, though. I installed my new Mallory distributor and found the stock distributor clamp wouldn't work. The distributor seems to be seated nicely (at TDC).

A quick google search yielded that on a guy's Europa, he had the same issue swapping a Mallory for a Lucas and replaced the clamp with one off a Ford Pinto.

Any of you had the same problem? Jim--

TR-3rg
06-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Hi,

I have a dual point vacuum advance Mallory and I do not recall any major issues. The distributer has a flange that sits above the clamp. You might have had to spread the clamp a bit. I know not know if the distributers with vacuum advance share the same basic body as the mechanical only distributers.

I run an MSD -5 ignition with it and its been great.

Roy

TR-3rg
06-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Here's a picture of the clamp and flange

Roy

Jim_Stevens
06-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Here's a picture of the clamp and flange

Roy
Thanks, Roy. For some reason, there's another 1/8" to get to where yours is.

TR-3rg
06-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Is the distributer drive 180 degrees out? Check by rotating the rotor 180 degrees and see if it drops in. I think the drive pin for the drive is on center, but the tabs that engage the oil pump drive slots are not. You can tap it out the drive pin, rotate the drive and tap the pin back in again. Don't ask me how I know.

Roy

Jim_Stevens
06-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Hi,

Is the distributer drive 180 degrees out? Check by rotating the rotor 180 degrees and see if it drops in. I think the drive pin for the drive is on center, but the tabs that engage the oil pump drive slots are not. You can tap it out the drive pin, rotate the drive and tap the pin back in again. Don't ask me how I know.

Roy
OMG... That was it! Given a 50/50 chance, you'll get it wrong 90% of the time!

Thanks, Roy-- jim