PDA

View Full Version : first post

higbee
06-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Long time lurker, first time posting. I have noticed something odd and need to know whats going on. It seems like whenever I am browsing the boards there are more viewers of the Triumph section than any other marque. Why is this? Are our cars doing well enough we have time to cruise the net? Alternately, are our cars always perplexing us with their quirks? Are we looking for ways to improve our babies? Personally, I check out tech info when stumped, and I am always looking for something to do to or on the car just for fun.

aeronca65t
06-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Welcome higbee!

I don't have a Triumph, but my racer (below) is Triumph-powered.
It is funny that there are usually more folks on the Triumph section of BCF than any other....the MG guys will tell you that it's because Triumphs break down more often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

waltesefalcon
06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Welcome aboard, higbee. The reason you always see more Triumph people on here, is because we are just social people, who own popular little cars. When we do want to fix something, which is seldom, we want to do it right so we get input from our friends on here. Which I know some car owners don't like to do, because they enjoy holding their little rust buckets together with string and bailing wire, and so are too embarrased to talk about their cars in a public forum as much as we do. Sorry MG guys, but someone has to tell it like it is.

kindofblue
06-11-2005, 05:07 PM
The wife of a member of my local club told my wife:

"Of all the car shows we have been to, and all the clubs we have been in (MG, Triumph, Mini), the Triumph people are the friendliest."

06-12-2005, 02:14 AM
To expand on that thought a bit, my impressions of our annual British car show (bmcno.org) are as follows, without trying to make enemies of course: Triumph owners bring umbrellas, coolers which they share and comfortable chairs. They will ohhh and ahhh over every car and show genuine interest in the other guy's ride. And you can always hear them coming. MG owners are always broken down into two sets, antique and newer. Old MG owners are often senile or act that way, newer car owners cast a wistful eye at the Triumphs, wishing they hadn't spent so much money on a girl's car. Jag owners are in an area all their own and won't even come over to the other side, it's beneath them. I love to make irreverant comments about their cars like "do you ever drive that thing?" or "who did your restoration?" Morgan owners are from Mars. Lotus guys are ok, except when they pull up in a 2005 and expect people to get excited. Little Healeys are a fun group and love to talk about their cars. Big Healey owners show up in ascots (really!), tweads and Mephisto boat shoes and only talk to Jag owners. New Mini owners often don't realize that they are in a German car with a Chrysler engine made in Brazil and don't really belong at a British car show.

Did I leave anybody out?

Bill

Hayfever
06-12-2005, 03:13 AM
Yeah. You forgot the group (aka 1-2) of TVR owners sitting in the back watching everyone else but the Lotus owners talking about their rust problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Geo Hahn
06-12-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...MG owners are always broken down...

[/ QUOTE ]

That [reading in part] is often true.

[ QUOTE ]
Did I leave anybody out?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "Did I neglect to offend anybody?". Well, you didn't go after the Land Rover crowd but it is probably wise to stay on their good side... just don't let them plan any club drives.

We certainly are a quirky bunch and enough of what you say rings true that at least some generalities work. But I also expect our LBC friends could share some character-building insights into the nature of 'those TR people'.

jsneddon
06-12-2005, 07:07 PM
heh heh heh .... he said girls car.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jsneddon
06-12-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like whenever I am browsing the boards there are more viewers of the Triumph section than any other marque. Why is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.. if nobody is going to admit it... I'll say it...

the truth...

we just read slower than other british car owners....

while moving our lips....

and moving our finger along the monitor as we do it....

Too much time actually DRIVING our triumphs and inhaling carbon monixide fumes has left us all...well...

slow.

That's it... no big mystery.

You don't get brain damage towing your car to a show on a trailer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif