PDA

View Full Version : TR5/TR250 TR250 in "Moonlighting"

tr6web
06-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Just thought I'd mention that as I was watching the pilot episode of the TV show "Moonlighting", there was a chase involving the bad buy who drove a beat up 250. I know it sounds corny, but I think it's awesome to see TRs on film. My wife, though, thinks I'm nuts when I'm watching TV and suddenly yell out "That's a Triumph!" at the top of my lungs...she just doesn't get it.

sammyb
06-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Hey, that's part of the fun of watching old tv and films. I spent the last time I watched the chase scene in Bullitt shouting out all the cars parked on the streets.

jsneddon
06-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah... but Sammy.... You're at an unfair advantage because you OWN all the cars on the street.

Dugger
06-06-2005, 11:41 PM
ELvis drove a MGA in Blue Hawaii; Get Smart drove a Sunbeam Alpine; Okay, I know these are not our beloved Triumphs, but they were still cool cars.

06-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Didn't Tom Selleck drive a TR6 in three men and a baby?

My all time fav car movie has got to be Vanishing Point. Fantastic film with a great underlying story, lots of onscreen symbolic imagery, and the hero drives a hemi Challenger. I loved the scene where he races the guy in the E-type.

Hayfever
06-07-2005, 09:59 AM
No, the drug dealers who tried to take the baby drove a TR6.

sammyb
06-07-2005, 01:49 PM
The car in the original Vanishing Point was actually not a Hemi -- it was a 383 small block 1970 R/T that was "hopped-up"....they actually refer to it in the trailers as supercharged. In the 1998ish remake directed by Jason Priestly, the car became a Hemi.

The car that runs into the bulldozers at the end is a 1st gen Camaro -- look at the wheels, and it is pretty evident.
[ QUOTE ]
My all time fav car movie has got to be Vanishing Point. Fantastic film with a great underlying story, lots of onscreen symbolic imagery, and the hero drives a hemi Challenger. I loved the scene where he races the guy in the E-type.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurtis
06-07-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The car in the original Vanishing Point was actually not a Hemi -- it was a 383 small block 1970 R/T that was "hopped-up"....they actually refer to it in the trailers as supercharged. In the 1998ish remake directed by Jason Priestly, the car became a Hemi.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to IMDB, there was actually four 440 Challenger R/Ts and one 383 Challenger R/T used in the original movie.

This was the first "R" rated movie I ever saw BTW. My uncle took me to see it at the drive-in at the ripe old age of 8. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluemiata90
06-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Vanishing Point, what a classic.

06-07-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The car that runs into the bulldozers at the end is a 1st gen Camaro -- look at the wheels, and it is pretty evident.

[/ QUOTE ]

That part I knew, the car is even a light green color or something off white if I remember correctly right? I don't even think they bothered to get a white one. I also remember reading that they had four different Challengers for the movie, but I didn't know there were no hemi's involved (learn something every day). I bought the DVD release of this movie a few months back and it has all the scenes that were cut out when it was originally mastered for VHS way back when. Since I had never seen it in the theater (I was a small kid then) these scenes were all new to me. Anyone know if the remake is available on netflicks? I'll check tonight, I've never seen it, should give it a look.

Another movie with a Brit car star, She's out of control with Tony Danza. Forgetable movie but he drives a beautiful E-type roadster which gets horrifically smashed by a train after winning a drag race against a Corvette.

sammyb
06-07-2005, 06:57 PM
The remake has been running on cable...Starz I think, maybe Showtime. It ummm...sucks.

Like most modern remakes, they completely redo the plot. In this case, Kowalski is racing home to make it to the birth of his child. Jason Priestly plays the role of SuperSoul, although in the remake he's "The Voice." The only upside is a great Hemi Charger, black, of course...

By the way, the original Vanishing Point is one of those movies that plays just as well without giving an ounce of thought to the images/themes as it does with digging deep into the meaning of the characters and plot.

Andy Blackley
06-07-2005, 07:22 PM
My favorite LBC in a 70s movie: Clint Eastwood driving an XK150 in "Play Misty for Me".

jsneddon
06-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Let's not forget Diner.

A nice red TR3 was the star of the movie.

Nice prank turning it on it's side... I know the body panels are THICK but come on...

Geo Hahn
06-07-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...Nice prank turning it on it's side... I know the body panels are THICK but come on...

[/ QUOTE ]

They used wrestling mats under the car to protect it for the shot. It was John Lye's TR3A throughout the movie.

Bill
06-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I've forgot the name of the movie but Grace Kelly drove a TR3 in the movie she made in Monaco.

jsneddon
06-08-2005, 12:08 PM
A funny story about the "Diner" car:

https://web.dimebank.com/Diner.txt

Andy Blackley
06-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Bill: Was it the one with Cary Grant ("To Catch a Thief")?
She was driving a '50s Sunbeam Alpine. A classy chassis. The car had one too!