PDA

View Full Version : Rear lights won't work correctly

bluemiata90
06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm trying to figure out a previous owners wiring on a TR4A that I bought. This my sound like a simple question, but I've never owned a TR4, so I need some help. My rear lights come on with the switch, but only the bottom/brake bulb. The brake lights also work correctly, but aren't the upper bulbs suppose to light also when I turn the lights on. All the wiring seems correct, but the upper bulbs only work with the turn signal and only on the passengers side. So, to start, I guess my question is, Should both the upper and lower bulbs light when the lights are turned on.?

trrdster2000
06-06-2005, 08:59 PM
bluemiata90, Short answer, no. The lower bulb has two filaments, one for running lights and one for brakes and the top is only for signals, on the replacement lens for the light bracket the lens are yellow on top in alot of cases. As for the signal not working on drivers side, start with the bulb and ground then work backwards or replace the flasher and see what happens. Wayne

bluemiata90
06-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, this clears alot up. I've checked all the bulbs and wiring and they seem to be fine. I just don't get any power to the left turn signal bulb. Maybe the flasher or maybe the switch. Is there a cross reference number for a flasher that can be purchased locally instead of ordering one from the triumph distributors.

Geo Hahn
06-07-2005, 12:47 AM
You can easily test a flasher. Without having a car to look at here is what I recall -- connect a hot lead to the common terminal then connect a test lamp to each of the other terminals in turn with the other end of the lamp grounded. Lamp should flash in each case. If yes, problem is not the flasher.

Are both the front and rear flashers not working?

bluemiata90
06-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, I figured out some of the problems. The steering wheel was removed at one time and the turn signal switch had a wire broken off. The previous owner tried to wire another wire on, but it also came off and somehow he wired the common with the lights, so the turn signals won't work without the lights being on. At least I'm getting closer to the correct wiring. Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif